Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble deciphering paint codes and getting the correct color paint for my pillar gauge mount. My interior color is Dark Charcoal (692). One of the threads I read mentioned looking in the fuse panel area for color codes. I didn't find anything there but on the back of the fuse panel there are many p/n's cast into the plastic along with color names. (I guess they use the same mold for all colors). The '06 colors listed are, among others, dark pewter and very dark pewter...but no dark charcoal. The similar panel on the right side of the dash has the same names cast into it. My local parts store has the SEM color coat paint. The graphite #15303 seems to be a close match. SEM's website also has a med dark pewter #17163 and a very dark pewter #17223 listed for their classic coat line. Does anyone know what GM interior color code 692 matches up to. I'm puzzled because it is called dark charcoal by GM on the build sheet but seems to go by another name according to what is listed on the fuse cover...I'm just not sure which one I have.

PS...what is the trick for removing the OEM a-pillar from the truck?

·
Registered
272 Posts
The 69 is the color code; 692, or 69C, 69V, etc just denotes trim level.

Color Code 69 is Dark Charcoal (Chevrolet) and Dark Pewter (GMC), and as far as I know, they are the same color. I have had this problem before matching a 92 with Blue interior. Sure wish they made it easier to figure out. Maybe you can go to the dealership body shop and talk with one of those guys; surely they have had to re-dye and interior peice or two along the way.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
the dark gray interior is code 642H

get the SEM Classic Coat thats matched to 642H. I used it and its the best off-the-shelf match ive found so far...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked on my glove box sticker and it has 692 but not 642H. Dark Charcoal (Chevrolet) and Dark Pewter (GMC) are apparently the same color. Are you refering to these same colors with Dark Gray?

I took my fuse cover into the store and selected SEM color coat graphite by eye (under flourecent light). From the color cards on SEM's website the classic coat very dark pewter seems to be a little darker and probably a better match. It is also the one matched up to 642H.

I'm going back to the store after work to see if they carry the classic coat line...I didn't see any there yesterday. Hopefully they can get me a can of the classic coat since I already bought all the SEM cleaners/primers/prepers/promoters...and eventually paint.

SEM also has an interesting PDF on their site about repairing plastic parts and texturing them with some of their other products. I was thinking about grafting the gauge mount section of the AutoMeter pillar on to the OEM pillar and texturing/painting to match...Probably end up looking bad but I might try it.:badidea: Need to find out what an OEM pillar costs first...also need to figure out how to remove it from the truck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts