Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
I think its great and no problems. Much more truck than i really need though.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Yea, My gas mileage has been so much better that diesel prices are going up again ):h

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
6th is beautiful on the highway. 70mph and the engine is purring at @ 1750rpms. Very easy to speed with.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've had one problem twice that will be hopefully repaired Tuesday. Twice it got stuck in first gear and wouldn't shift up. Other than that, the Allison is a smooth shifter.

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
Love it

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have about 6,000 miles since Jan 06. I think it is really a nice package - especially with the duramax. Smooth shifts that I often do not even feel. My one beef would be with the dealer when I went in to buy a spin on filter and he wanted 22 dollars and some change. I commented to the service manager that that seemed like it was a bit steep and he told me he paid about 16 via GM. Needless to say I left the filter on the dealer counter and ordered several genuine allison filters from a supporting vendor - for about 10 dollars each. I was very disappointed in both GM and the dealer for not providing a better value in the filter. However I really like the transmission - so far.

·
Registered
511 Posts
6th is beautiful on the highway. 70mph and the engine is purring at @ 1750rpms. Very easy to speed with.
:exactly: The Allison should have been a 6 speed when they first came out with the Duramax. I'll drop mine down into 5th every now & then on the highway, & it just seems like the engine is running way too fast. I can't imagine what it would be like driving my old LB7 with the 5 speed Allison now that I have an LBZ. (And I never had any complaints with the LB7/Allison combo when I still owned it.)

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Love the 6 speed. 50,000 on mine with no problems. LOTS of towing.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I want a 6 spd! :(

·
Registered
373 Posts
Mine started out running hot. Guess it had to work itself thru, because now she runs 150-200 degrees. Never had any shifting issues either. The tow mode is still hillarious to listen to. Sounds like a school-bus! I think it's the best tranny I've ever owned...

·
Registered
174 Posts
trans is second best part of the package. totally awesome truck.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The only thing that I would change would have to be the closeness of the lower gears. I try to baby it until 5th and the gears are just too close, 200-300 RPM difference. Id prefer there to be 600ish, But once I hit 5 bam good amounts of power. Mind you there is plenty there in the low gears, but i want the 1250-1400 RPM building power vs 1700-1800 RPM power.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The only thing that I would change would have to be the closeness of the lower gears. I try to baby it until 5th and the gears are just too close, 200-300 RPM difference. Id prefer there to be 600ish, But once I hit 5 bam good amounts of power. Mind you there is plenty there in the low gears, but i want the 1250-1400 RPM building power vs 1700-1800 RPM power.
650 lb/ft of torque at 1600 rpm is pretty much all you are going to get. maybe your tach is wrong:D . pulled with pretty much all models 6.9 ford, 7.3 non turbo, 7.3 turbo, 6.0 ford and even dodge cummins 2005, and the duramax is by far the strongest light truck i have ever towed with.( not sure if light truck is right terminology but i am sure someone will correct me if i am wrong:) )

1 - 16 of 16 Posts