Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi just wondering what tire and wheel choice i should go with that would look the best on a 06 2500hd extended cab. Im getting it this weekend and really really dont like the look of the 245's on the 6.5 wheels. I was curious if i could go with 17x8 wheels and bf goodrich 285's without having to install a lift. I was able to put the bf's on my 03 ext cab 1500 using stock wheels with no mods. but they were 16". The 06 1500's have 17" wheels that i would think would look good on the 2500's as well. So do you think i could get the 17" with 285s to work or should i stay with the 16x8 wheel that im looking at and get 285's. and if anyone is interested in the stock wheels and tires i will be selling them shortly. thanks for any help.:help:

·
Registered
881 Posts
It all depends on the backspacing of the wheels. Keep in mind the stock wheels have a 5" backspacing and the less you have, the more the tire "swings" instead of turning. The height will not be a problem and with the proper backspacing you could get away with a minor valence trim and maybe a slight tweak on the torsion bars.

As far as the 1500 wheels- are you asking if they will fit your 2500HD? If you are the answer is no-different bolt pattern. You will need something with an 8 on 6.5 pattern.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am also planning on putting 17x8 or 17x9 on my 06 cc 2500 truck. What would be the idea offset for either of these wheels? Also is there that much of a difference in the 8 inch and 9 inch wheels fitting on the truck?
Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i know that the 1500's stock wheels wont work on a hd because of the lugs but i was just curious if i could get away with the same size wheel on a hd if the 8" wouldnt have been a good idea. I would prefer the 17x8 wheel though what do you guys think would be a good back space.... 4"? that would push them out alittle more right? but i would have to have my toe adjusted then as well? thanks for the help though.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I am running BFG AT's 285 70 17 on H2 wheels. IIRC the H2's are 17 X 8.5 with a 4.5 back space. This is a common combo and works well.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I recently fitted 275/70/17 Cooper ST's on H2's.
Stock PYO wheels = 4.5" BS (Back space)
H2's = 5.6"BS ,8.5" wide so 1'' extra in + 1" extra out ,good fit only had to trim small amount off corner of bumper (GMC) + tie back wheel liner under washer bottle + E brake cable.
Can't see any reason to lift front end if don't want or need to.
Seems to be very few arftermarket wheels with enough BS.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
The lower the backspacing number the further out the wheel will stick out. Also, it will put more stress on all the steering components. It will steer harder and probably wander a little because they will not be in the grooves in the road. Mine did. You more than likely have to get the cutter out and clearence your fenders to get it to turn. You will also splash junk on your paint a whole lot more. But hey, it will look cool.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts