Diesel Place banner

05 radio into a 1997 Truck

651 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  DURAtotheMAX 
#1 ·
Is it possible to install a 05 radio in to a 1997 pickup. The radio I'm refferring to has a disk changer and XM radio. It does not have the GPS. I think it is a Bose unit. At least it had the Bose speakers.
I drove a 05 or 06 Burb LT this weekend( rental) and it had this radio in it. I don't care about the steering wheel controls, but to have the XM and the changer would be nice and maintain a factory look.

Also - the 97 has the detached cd player. I'd like to pull that out and replace it with a storage slot.....do they make those?

What would be this issues involved? Wiring problems?

Maybe it would be easier to just go to Best Buy and pick one out!

thanks,
Paul

#2 ·
Someone here figured out how to install one in an '02..so it is possible. Frnakly, I don't have a clue as to how to do it, though...

#3 ·
Way more work then it's worth IMO. Go aftermarket.

#4 ·
Thanks for the help guys....

Is it more work because the wiring is so different? It looks like it would fit ok. I guess I just figured that it was a matter of installing the new one and plugging in the speaker leads and power.

Oh well.....:(

#5 ·
The wiring is night and day different.

#6 ·
and the databus's are incompatible. The 03 and up radios rely on constant BCM communication for a VIN confirmation via the CLass II data bus. I dont know if a '97 BCM would know what to do if a 2003 radio asked it for that info...

Tom do you know who it was who got that radio working in a 2002? I know there was one guy who got an "RDS" radio to work in his 1999-2002 Silverado, but it wasnt a 2003+ RDS radio. I guess GM made an "old style" 1.5 DIN radio that had RDS capability and an alphanumeric LCD for the saudi arabia (?) market. He installed this and it worked fine because even tho it had RDS capability, it was based on the old 1999-2002 style radios. Is that the guy you were thinking of? If its not and some guy really did get a 2003 radio to workin his 2002, id really like to talk to him...

--Ben

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.