Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This guy I know with an 05 powerstroke is talking major junk to me. He has a bully dog tuner,mbrp exhaust and air intake. My truck is stock right now and it is an 03. What mods do I need to do to have him covered. I am ready to start.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
If you buy just your average ordinary tuner or box like the Juice/att., or a predator you will both be fairly evenly matched.

The stock allison will only take so much HP. Level 5 on the juice is about all it will take, and then you are on borrowed time if you beat on it.

If you really want to put the hurt on him upgrade your transmission. This opens up a whole new realm of power. Dmax's can make 500 HP on the stock turbo and injectors, with a built trans. Something a 6.0 cannot do. If you get an upgraded tranny and big tuning, you will make
him cry.):h

If you are on a budget you could get by with a converter and transgo kit. Since your clutches should be fine. This will set you back about 1600 for parts. Expect 800-1000$ for labor. The upgrades go on up from there.

Checkout www.suncoastconverters.com to get an idea about the other tranny upgrades. Or do a search in the aftermarket transmission section here.

·
Registered
188 Posts
My buddies 05 Powerstroke walks away from me at a pretty good tick. He has an Edge controller, intake, exhaust and I am still stock. Be carefull, he can talk smack right now with you being stock, I can guarantee he will be fast. I imagine if you do similar mods as he has it will be close.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I'm curious as to what's cheaper, injectors for the 6.0 or a built allison tranny?
Well a Suncoast III will run you about $3600 installed. I have no idea about the injectors, but I really don't think they will give the 6.0 enough to beat a fully built Dmax, if that's what your implying.;)

So 1dmbth, go ahead and do that tranny, buy a big program and don't ever worry about a 6.0 again. :D

·
Registered
405 Posts
Beans injectors are good for 500 ponies and are a good bit cheaper than the ally tranny upgrade. I'm not sure what John Woods charges for a built torqueshift but I'd venture to say it's cheaper than the ally upgrade!

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
So far, with just tuning, you can push far more HP than the 6.0, if you are willing to freshen up your trans.

Even the LLY's are capable of more power than a "tune-only" 6.0 can produce. It's purely displacement in this case. You do not even have to touch a wrench to the LB7 engine to make 490rwhp.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
First off, I have an 03 and my brother inlaw wanted to race me with his new 05 6.0 ford totally stock. I said no until he begged for a couple hours. Then he wanted me to run with my banks on level 1 which is stock tune,remember stock for stock the ford has 25 more ponies than an 03 d-max, well he pulled away , but not hard. He told me to bump it to level2, which made us just about even on h.p.,so at that point I stayed even(same gearing, but I have 33" tires) i would have pulled him in level2 with stock tires. so then he says lets try level 3. well he said all he saw was smoke and taillights. I walked him by about 5 lengths. I think he learned his lesson. so yes any tuner will beat a stock any other diesel.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
The advice thusfar has been good. Without a trans you will be prett even. If you learn to lanuch well and he dosnt you will eat his lunch.

All I know about powerstroke performance in the 1/4 mile is 2 things. That is there are 2 trucks in the country that were powered by a ford diesel that I actually feared in the 1/4 mile. They were both lightened back 1/2ed trucks and mine was my 4x4 daily driven plow truck that was slower than them by 3 tenths. I aplaud the couple guys that are doing something different and pushing the PS farthur......but if you want to hop onto a Chevy board with your rah rah rah powerstroke dyno numbers rah rah rah you guys need to upgrade your allison for x dollars :blahblah: powerstroke this, then I will tell you to show me some real numbers of what your truck does #1 and also show me some numbers on who runs faster. Last time I checked they didnt spot you are certain headstart at the drag strip if you spent x dollars less than the otherguy :p:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I want to blow him out real good. I think I will go ahead and do the transmission first and then get a big program or stack.
He claims he beat a duramax the other day while he was pulling his 20' boat. What is real funny about this guy is that for years he has been talking junk about fords and someone suckered him in to buying one and now it is the best thing since sliced bread. I guess that's just human nature.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
The advice thusfar has been good. Without a trans you will be prett even. If you learn to lanuch well and he dosnt you will eat his lunch.

All I know about powerstroke performance in the 1/4 mile is 2 things. That is there are 2 trucks in the country that were powered by a ford diesel that I actually feared in the 1/4 mile. They were both lightened back 1/2ed trucks and mine was my 4x4 daily driven plow truck that was slower than them by 3 tenths. I aplaud the couple guys that are doing something different and pushing the PS farthur......but if you want to hop onto a Chevy board with your rah rah rah powerstroke dyno numbers rah rah rah you guys need to upgrade your allison for x dollars :blahblah: powerstroke this, then I will tell you to show me some real numbers of what your truck does #1 and also show me some numbers on who runs faster. Last time I checked they didnt spot you are certain headstart at the drag strip if you spent x dollars less than the otherguy :p:
Nicely put! :D

·
Registered
405 Posts

Wow you guys are a tight bunch! I ask a question and make a statement and you fellas act like I commited some murder over here! What do you want to know about my truck and I'll tell ya? I'll give you a hint, it ain't fast and it ain't powerful but it looks purdy! :lol:

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Wow you guys are a tight bunch! I ask a question and make a statement and you fellas act like I commited some murder over here! What do you want to know about my truck and I'll tell ya? I'll give you a hint, it ain't fast and it ain't powerful but it looks purdy! :lol:
Yeah but you asked it only to stir things up right? :exactly: :D

:eek:fftopic:

·
Registered
932 Posts
superf350, how much is it to get the heads o-ringed, studded, injectors, SCT tuning, and a fuel system to still make less than 500RWHP .......A number any given LB7 can beat all day long with a TTS Extreme and liftpumps:muahaha: for less than $1900, on an otherwise bone stock motor........EXCLUDING TRANS UPGRADES

·
Registered
932 Posts
I'm curious as to what's cheaper, injectors for the 6.0 or a built allison tranny?
Are you saying that with injectors in a 6.0, a stock TorqueShift will hold without any slippage? If I am reading correct an Extreme Duty rebuild kit for a 5R110 is $811 WITHOUT a converter. A Level 3 for the Allison is $2125 INCLUDING a converter. I think that the trans pricing is pretty close to equaling out.

·
Registered
405 Posts
superf350, how much is it to get the heads o-ringed, studded, injectors, SCT tuning, and a fuel system to still make less than 500RWHP .......A number any given LB7 can beat all day long with a TTS Extreme and liftpumps:muahaha: for less than $1900, on an otherwise bone stock motor........EXCLUDING TRANS UPGRADES
Well, right now I'm on the bubble with getting some Bean injectors or getting another truck. If I get the injectors I'll let you know how they do without studs or o-rings. The little red truck runs two stages of nitrous on stock head bolts and gaskets with beans injectors. I'm not sure what John Wood has done to the tranny but I'm sure it's got some goodies! BTW how do you know that injectors and SCT make less than 500HP? Both folks I know that have Beans injectors have dyno'd over 500, Biavia and Gene. ;)

·
Registered
932 Posts
Well, right now I'm on the bubble with getting some Bean injectors or getting another truck. If I get the injectors I'll let you know how they do without studs or o-rings. The little red truck runs two stages of nitrous on stock head bolts and gaskets with beans injectors. I'm not sure what John Wood has done to the tranny but I'm sure it's got some goodies! BTW how do you know that injectors and SCT make less than 500HP? Both folks I know that have Beans injectors have dyno'd over 500, Biavia and Gene. ;)
I'm not saying that they can't or won't make more than 500RWHP, I really don't care one way or the other, but if you really want to add up the cost do it fairly. Maybe some guys can get away without needing head studs and fire rings, but you know as well as I do that alot of 6.0's and 7.3's need them to keep from puking coolant and if you are wanting to make serious power I don't see the point in cutting corners and not studding it.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Personally I don't think puking coolant is caused by the head gaskets. The coolant flash boils because of the egr which causes the coolant to puke back through the cap. :exactly:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.