Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has an '05 LLY, and has been sitting parked for about 3 years since a rough running condition began, followed by a no start condition. Once it didnt start, it was parked as 'broken' and abandoned due to time, unit now.

With a fresh pair of batteries, new filters and fresh fuel the truck does not start. It will only spin over. My friend claims he plumbed in a temporary fuel source and it seems the CP3 is not pulling fuel at all.

Using HPTuners, my PC only displays the TCM and some other basic info..so its useless. No codes present due to sitting with dead batteries for two years.

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Sorry to start with the obvious . . . did you prime it? Does it prime like it should ? (loosen bleeder, pump until diesel squirts out, snug bleeder, pump some more and it gets hard?).

Our trucks are old. The filter head o-rings leak at some point, and it's just as well to buy a new one (dealer may be outrageously priced, so shop online and it will probably include a new filter). The filter heads have been known to crack, too.

Also, the soft lines deteriorate and can leak air in, or collapse when the pump is trying to suck all the way from the tank. Many of us have installed a lift pump.

If all of the above is ok, then you need a good scanner that can tell you fuel pressure on the high-pressure side (commanded and actual). Mine has always started after priming, so others will have to give advice beyond that.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Administrator
15,963 Posts
X2^^ those filter head seals will break down and allow air to get into the system

·
Registered
98 Posts
Replace the two rubber fuel hoses that run to and from the fuel filter housing. The suction fuel hose to the FICM / HPFP was collapsed after 14 years on mine. This is necessary maintenance on these.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts