Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on my way home tonight, the weather is about 5 degrees, and I had drove 10 miles at 70 mph stopped at a stop sign,and then i was on an on ramp, and put my foot into it pretty good like i have done many times before, and then all of the sudden my bone stock truck would not rev past 2000 rpms, and when it tried to go past 2000 rpm it would just fall on its face. so i nursed it home pulled it into the driveway, shut it off, then restarted it, and took it for another drive and it ran fine, so what made my truck go into limp mode?? tranny slip, or fuel related.I question it being fuel because the truck stop I buy fuel from is blended 70 30 plus i run power service. so should i be concerned?? thanks for any ideas:)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Sounds like a 1093. You probably just need a clean fuel filter or maybe a FPRV. Do a search on 1093. There is a ton of info.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Same happened to me, maybe two months ago. Next morning the truck started and ran fine. Many on the forum suggested filters and shim kits, filter replaced the next day in my case, and still contemplating the shim kit. In any case when asked at the dealer, told that I should "cycle" ignition to clear the problem. Go figure. In any case haven't seen the same problem in I guess two months.......

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
We don't see a lot of cold temps here in AZ so I am no expert in that category. With that said I think the temps have a lot to do with the early morning 1093's. Last year I had a problem a few mornings when running bio diesel and temps in the teens. I don't think it takes a whole lot of gelling or even just a slight thickening of the fuel to trip the FPRV and set the limp code (1093). I had a few on cold mornings and if I just took it easy once things warmed up all was well. One thing to remember is the truck is trying to protect itself with the limp mode. If using winter blend it shouldn't be a problem but the fuel system is highly sensitive and it wouldn't hurt to stick another fuel filter on and check that.
If you want to go the lift pump/shim route most people recommend that you do the lift pump first and then do the shim if still having problems. If you are having these provlems more often and are still under warranty then the dealer may be an option but you need to duplicate the problem for them. Usually a PITA.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts