Diesel Place banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, I just purchased a 2005 2500HD truck. It has 16,125 miles on it, with only 675 miles this past year, Jan 7, 07 to last week. I have a question regarding the engine lite. It has come on 3 different times during the last 50 miles I have driven it. I have a appointment next Thursday at the dealer for service. My question is it safe to continue to drive the truck or should I wait until it is serviced and checked? Thanks for any response.

·
Registered
744 Posts
You should be fine. Most auto parts stores will check the codes for you for free. When the light is on take it there. Then at least you'll know what's going on with it before you take it to the dealer.

BTW congrats on your new truck. I just got mine a few months ago and I freakin' love it.

·
Registered
894 Posts
They can check for codes even if the light is'nt on, they're stored until cleared.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I know the dealer can read the stored codes, but i'm not sure every auto parts store can. I had a 04' Trailblazer with the SES light going on and off. I took it by Autozone when the light was off and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Took it back when the light came back on about two days later and they found the O2 sensor was going bad. You can try it when the light is off, just keep in mind that they may say there is nothing wrong.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Good grief! Go down to Walmart and buy a 50 buck code reader that will read and clear codes and be done with it! I can't believe the trouble guys go through every time they get a code thrown! If you're going to mod your truck, you really should have a reader anyway....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
744 Posts
What is the name of the $50 code reader at Wal-mart? If they are that cheap and do the job I would love to get one. The ones I have looked at are around $200 for a good one.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I know you can get one for ~$75 at NAPA called the code scout. It will read and clear codes. Every lly owner should carry a code reader an ice pick and know how to fix injector connectors. Eventually it will happen to you. Know the problem areas and you will never be stranded.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Greetings, I just purchased a 2005 2500HD truck. It has 16,125 miles on it, with only 675 miles this past year, Jan 7, 07 to last week. I have a question regarding the engine lite. It has come on 3 different times during the last 50 miles I have driven it. I have a appointment next Thursday at the dealer for service. My question is it safe to continue to drive the truck or should I wait until it is serviced and checked? Thanks for any response.
Do you lose any performance with the CEL is on? If not you will be fine. The truck and the transmission will protect themselves. I have had CEL lights come on once in a while when my fuel filter is need of a change. Might try one if you don't know it been changed recently. If you find a code reader there is a list in the stickies of all diagnostic codes.

Good luck.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the responses, what a great site with a tremendous wealth of info. I do not loose any power when the light is on, which is intermittent. I am going to change the fuel filter tomorrow. The truck has only been driven 675 miles in the past year. I will post tomorrow after the filter change. Heading to Walmart to buy a code reader. Thanks again.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I purchased a EQUUS 3100c code reader at Walmart. I hooked the cable up to the vehicle test connector. Had no response from the reader. the instructions say it will automatically turn on within 5 seconds if not turn ignition key to on. Tried turning the key on, no luck, nothig shows up on the screen. I put new batteries in the reader and still no luck. The readeer is a Digital OBD2 code reader. Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
543 Posts
As stated above, if you have set a CEL, there is a code stored until "X" number of ignition cycles. Some of the "OBDII" readers do not capure all of the diesel codes. (I have one and several of the codes don't show up on the OBDII reader but do show up on an EFI Live scan.)

The dealer should be able to help but you should have the code reader anyway. - I don't leave home without the OBDII and/or EFI Live laptop.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Well I purchased a EQUUS 3100c code reader at Walmart. I hooked the cable up to the vehicle test connector. Had no response from the reader. the instructions say it will automatically turn on within 5 seconds if not turn ignition key to on. Tried turning the key on, no luck, nothig shows up on the screen. I put new batteries in the reader and still no luck. The readeer is a Digital OBD2 code reader. Any suggestions? Thanks.
That's a good reader (made by Innova I think) and should read your codes fine. Important...Make sure you turn the key to "run" (second click) to power the OBD2 port....if still no power-up, just exchange it...maybe you got a dead unit. Innovas are excellent readers. :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Code reader

Thanks for responses and help. It turns out the cigarette lighter fuse was blown. Changed the fuse and it works great. I have cleared all 4 of the codes and the truck runs great.

·
Registered
840 Posts
what were the codes?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts