Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone Installed a ATS Co Pilot and a Modulated Allison? I installed one on mine and would like to Compare Performance Results.I installed one on a 03 and it worked Excellent. But My 04 is acting a little wierd.It first started out shifting extremly hard and would not ease up even with the co pilot shut off,I took it to gm and had the tech 2 reset the shift trims and it now shifts smoother but still very Erratic,any thoughts? Thanks! Sorry for my Grammer in a Hurry!!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Amric, is the only one I know of on the site that has an 04 with the co-pilot installed, maybe he can help.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Do you have an LLY? I have the extra solinoid in my Allsion but I have an LB7, and I don't think it is active. I have not had the problem you are experiencing. I could set the co-pilot up to shift very soft or very firm. I went on the firm side, and it took about a week for the TCM to adapt the shifts down to soften things up.

It should not make a difference, but have you tried to not just turn off the co-pilot, but disconnect the harness, and reconnect the factory harness to test for softer shifts. You might want to call Clint for some troubleshooting tips.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Amric, I have a LB7, I now just recieved a PO700 code. This thing is drivin me nuts, the one I put on the 03 worked perfect,Mine ?? by the way mine does have the extra Solenoid. you say yours is inactive? Why would GM do That? Oh well, Thanks I will get back in touch with ATS.Anymore advice would be great

·
Registered
704 Posts
The P0700 is a TCM code. There will be another code stored in the TCM that should point you in the right direction. You may have an issue with one of the solinoids, of a fluid leak at the ATS solinoid. You might also want to look at the 20 pin connector and make sure a pin did not push out. Did you do the clutches too, or just the Co-Pilot. Sticking clutches will also throw a P0700 code.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Light has now went out,The code I had said TCM Malfunction as a description,I will pull the pan and check solenoid for Leaks and wire pin problems,Thanks for your Info!! Update. I pulled the pan and observed the added solenoid had popped out of the aluminum block,either the roll pin was not installed or the pin fell out that holds the solenoid,I checked all the pins in the connectors and all looked fine. After pan install and test drive It really shifted very loose with extreme flares on every shift,after several start and stops the shifts really improved(with co-pilot off). Decided what the heck,turned on copilot and turned it on high and I definately felt a crisp shift.I will have to drive for a while normall I guess to let the tcm adapt again. Any more info will be Appreciated. Thanks I did not upgrade Clutches, Trans has never slipped or went to fail safeEdited by: 04forme

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
The TCM request MIL code seems to appear frequently with the ATS setup. It doesn't set SES light in my experience though. Just a info code.

I think this may have to do with the TCC force on command by the Copilot. Not sure though...

·
Registered
704 Posts
Glad to hear you found the problem. Let us know after it has had some time to adapt if all is well.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have driven approx 75 miles since the last pan removal,the trans seems to be getting better, But I have noticed since the ats install the trans goes into drive or rev either, very firm engagement or a big delay.I was wondering if I may be sucking air at the filter grommet, The ats valve does interfear with the filter a little,It doesnt sit into place like it used to,Just a thoughtEdited by: 04forme

·
Registered
704 Posts
I'm no expert, so you might want a second opinion, but if its firm going into reverse, and a delay going into drive, it is working as expected. Both first gear and reverse use the C5 clutches, which are now recieving more pressure than they were stock. Reverse also uses C3 which will also be recieving more pressure, but GM designed the C3 to slowly disengage while the C1 is engaging to soften the shift to drive. Even though the C1 is recieving more pressure than before, the C3 holds it back, and is what you are feeling as a delay in engagement.

I am sure I did not explain this well, as it was explained to me a while back. Mike L. or GMCSid could probably correct me, or explain it better.Edited by: Amric

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did your filter fit ok when you did the install? Just Curious.

·
Registered
704 Posts
No, I had to grind down the semi-sphere legs to get the pan to sit flat. I was initially concerned, and will probably go to a deep pan to fix the clearance problem, but I have put 5000 very hard miles on it since, and it is working better than ever. I even just got back from a 750 mile trip towing a 7,000 lb trailer running the 215hp tune the whole way, and the Allison worked perfect. It's alot of fun accelerating up the on-ramp as if I wasn't pulling a trailer.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
I changed the "A trim" solenoid spring back to stock and the delay/firmness going into reverse is gone. I wasn't happy with the reverse shift originally and this was what ATS suggested.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have had mine both ways,with stock spring,and without,The problem I think I have Must be something stupid on my part,I installed one on a customers 03 and it worked perfect.I thought I might as well do mine,Right! Well needless to say better of to have the problem with mine instead of his, Just my Luck! I hate trouble shooting,And the worst thing is I own a Tranny Shop! Guess it can happen to anyone though, I havent had the operotunity to work on any allisons though Except my Own!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
VFRRider your pm wont go through. Call me 765/524-3325 Kenny

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Trippin said:
I changed the "A trim" solenoid spring back to stock and the delay/firmness going into reverse is gone. I wasn't happy with the reverse shift originally and this was what ATS suggested.

I installed the trim spring on my latest "update" and the Reverse hit is pretty aggressive. It will chirp the tires on smooth floor unless you hold the brake quite hard.

I now have a NASTY flare (Eric can vouch) in middle pedal progression. If I floor it it is OK, and if I drive light it is OK, but mid travel it flares pretty nasty with or w/o the Copilot on.

Has anybody had to change spacer plates in their kits?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Kennedy

Mine still does not know what to do,I mean,Sometimes it will shift hard into reverse and sometimes it shifts fine into rev.Foward acts the same way,sometimes,it is even slow engaging,Is it by chance the trans is still adapting?Mine does not flare like yours but it does flare like yours in tow/haul mode. 250+ mile on it now.I would really like some more knowledge or help on this.And I wonder why did the 03 install I did on a customer work so great. Is it the tcm programing changed between the 03 and the early 04? Anyone?

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Mine is an 02 and it is all over the board.

Customer was in with his 02 and his ATS setup was much better than mine according to his description...

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
04forme said:
Kennedy

Mine still does not know what to do,I mean,Sometimes it will shift hard into reverse and sometimes it shifts fine into rev.Foward acts the same way,sometimes,it is even slow engaging,Is it by chance the trans is still adapting?Mine does not flare like yours but it does flare like yours in tow/haul mode. 250+ mile on it now.I would really like some more knowledge or help on this.And I wonder why did the 03 install I did on a customer work so great. Is it the tcm programing changed between the 03 and the early 04? Anyone?

Mine did the same, change the A trim spring back to stock.

·
Registered
716 Posts
My 03 has gone into reverse hard ever since I put my ATS in, it doesn't bother me, I love the way the tranny feels. Makes since the c5's getting more pressure.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts