Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just picked up 04 lly cc sb da a dog out of hole but pulls like a mother once turbo kicks in! i'm hoping somebody tell me if there is something built in the truck to let you program a garage door opener like my wifes 02 and 03 envoys? There isnt even a compartment to put the remote in . By the way the truck is an lt

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Short answer = No

Long answer = They are not available from the factory for '04, but there is a factory type overhead console with the Homelink (that's the built in garage door opener) availble. Spendy however at $375.00, if you think that's something you might want, I'll track down the link for it.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Wow. Thanks Max Power! Been looking for one of those!

·
Registered
227 Posts
GM really dropped the ball on us with the LT. My 2001 X-Cab LT had an overhead console that had a spot for the door opener inside. There was a button on the bottom and velcro tape on the inside to stick your door opener to the top inside of that compartment. There there were 3 little lego blocks that reached out from the button on the bottom of the console to push the button on the inside of your door opener. It didn't have a homelink, you used your own inside the overhead console. I liked it. But the 2003 doesn't have the overhead console. So I took the sunvisor clip off my door opener and stuck it in the little pocket by the map lights in the small console. It seems to work OK and hasn't fallen out going down the road or even while off roading last summer.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I'd still rather had the Homelink even if it was an option. My Cherokee has it and now that I'm used to it, and it's three transmitter frequencies I wish GM hadn't discontinued them on the pickups.

I'll most likey wind up paying for the JP Customs unit.......

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
Ok you have to be f**king kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

$375 for that overhead console from these people. WTF? I thought that it was a simple console and was cheap to get, but not at that price.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
It comes with the HomeLink transmitters installed and it's about $50.00 cheaper than getting it from the stealer.

Nobody said going first class was cheap....

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
My '02 has the long console...I noticed the homelink door on my wife's '01 S-Blazer was the exact same color and size as my "opener" door, so I went on Ebay and found a console with homelink for $50 and changed out the doors. From what I found, you can use the homelink doors from S-trucks, 'Burbs, Denalis, etc....

You have to be VERY careful when swapping the doors though, because the door hinge pins are very fragile, but I just took my time and it was a snap. Wiring it up wasn't all that tough. Now I can put that console back on Ebay, and the Homelink should only cost me about $20.
If you have the shorty console...why not look for one out of a 'Burb or similar with a sunroof? It'd be the same thing, I'll bet!!!

Shoot...you could go find a console in a boneyard for under what JP Customs (and the dealers) want...$225 to $375 bucks is flat out highway robbery!!
Sorry, JP...but that price IS crazy!!!

I'm surprised nobody else on this forum thought of this. Lots of creative people here.

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
TheBac,

Oh I have thought of it.......

Problem is there was a change in the overhead consoles in '03 I believe and units to fit the newest trucks are in scarce supply in the junkyards around here, as in none that I've found. I'll admit I've not really looked hard on Ebay, I'm a bit skittish about buying used electronic/trim pieces without seeing them and confirming operation first.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I have been watching ebay for 2 months and have not found one for an 03. But if there is one beware, it is mine!

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
I wouldn't think there'd be a whole lot that could go wrong with those modules. But then again..... Good Luck, Zeeb.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I must have been lucky and got a console off a 2002 suburban on Ebay with the Homelink for $71 plus shipping. Shale color, too. Had to switch out the cubby cover and get a piece of neoprene for the bottom of the cubby. I think these may go back to 2001. The consoles from rigs WITH sunroofs are SMALLER than our stock ones on 03 and 04's. IIRC part number is 15090148. Wired to the map lights, but the power saving relay turns the map light power off after about a half-hour and the Link won't work until the relay is activated by the map light. I kind of like this as it prevents operation in the event the truck is broken into (unless the thief turns the map light on). Here's a pic:

·
Registered
473 Posts
I just did a search on ebay, there are quite a few Homelink units for sale. Not sure how hard it would be to install it in a Pickup. I may pull mine out of my wife's Tahoe, and compare it to the overhead console in my pickup. If it looks like one can be adapted I will let everyone know.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
The problem is that the HomeLink is built into the overhead console. It has the cut outs and is molded for the buttons. And since the General changed the design between '02 and '03, you've got to have one of those years, either '03 or '04.

So yes, one from a Tahoe, Escalade, Yukon, etc. would work since they're all the same color now, but finding one of those is the tough part....Edited by: Zeeb

·
Registered
549 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
TEXMudder said:
Any reason an ebay one couldnt be adapted. I have been looking at these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38655&item=2468296121It would appear to me that if I can figure out the wiring, all I have to do is figure out how to mount it.

No reason at all. I'd just like to have it look "factory" even if they won't put them in the '04 trucks. Right now I'm just making do with the visor clip on unit that came with the opener. That's probably the cheapest way to go, but it doesn't have the three different frequencies for different doors.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Dont get me wrong, I want a 100% factory look. While the ones that go into the visors wont look like previous HD trucks, if I can get it into my visor I dont think it would look anything other than stock. I just hate garage door openers as I have 3 in my truck now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts