Diesel Place banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m a proud owner of an ‘04 ccsb lb7 with a zf6. My problem is the poor thing needs either a rebuild or new owner. I put 127 miles on it last year, mostly plowing snow. It’s a fairly solid truck with minimal rust and decent interior. It for certain needs head gaskets and injectors. And while I’m that far I would stud it also. With the state of affairs in the world, I don’t know if I want to replace the truck. What are your thoughts on a close to stock rebuild or send it on to another owner and buy something else. Thanks

·
Administrator
21,844 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace

I would definitely give it the upgrades and general maintenance it needs.
(y)

·
Premium Member
2007 Klassic CCSB 2500HD. Six-gun w/speedloader, iDash, and EFILive.
1,431 Posts
Solid gold with dubious injectors and head gaskets. Do it now or do it later, but keep it forever.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe I’ll be sticking with they truck. Brings a tear to my eye when I think about selling it. Did some checking around and figured 5 to 6 grand in gaskets/studs, injectors/install kit, clutch (due to the flywheel missing a couple teeth) and some other items while I’m in there. My next question is a tuner. I obviously don’t want to push it to the limits but I do plan on towing a camper less than 9000#. Just something to even things out and give it a little bit of fun every now and then. Now I’m open to any and all suggestions or comments as this is the 1st duramax I’ll be tearing down and putting back together. Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
It's a bit of an investment, but if you're reasonably handy with a computer, EFILive Will give you total control and you can load 5 tunes. I haven't played with it recently, but you should be able to get a thermocouple involved in that so you can keep EGTs down. I know people hate the banks stuff because it doesn't make maximum power. But for me, who bought a 3-year-old truck and wants it to keep it forever, the way that it defuels to keep the temperatures down is priceless. At the last thing I want to do is pull the cab to replace the turbo. It was on the truck when I bought it, and I kept it. But I still use EFI live to tweak things and shut off warnings when certain things are disabled :)

I had an LB7, and I put five tunes in it with a switch back in the day. And it would absolutely tear ass. The problem was, it didn't take into account all of the other sensors. I ended up eating head gaskets and injectors. But I'm not sure that has anything to do with the software. I'm sure there are a million people that will chime in here but these are the left and right lateral limits. Either you pay for the thing that is very well tested, or you pay for the thing that will absolutely not let you hurt your truck and transmission. There's definitely some middle ground in there for you to explore, but these are the options. And from what I understand, which you can find in some other recent posts, there's another brand out there that makes a model just like a Cadillac CTS that seems to be making ECMs die. I wouldn't go that route.

No matter what solution you choose, I would make sure and get one that will defuel the engine if the turbocharger is going to get to the point where it will melt the fins. I fly for a living, and I know what that does. Bad bad bad. Not a several million dollar problem in your case, but you can't fight thermodynamics.

If you're going to stud the heads, you can put a bigger turbo on there with more presure because it'll work. And you could tune it pretty well with EFI life. Or you could pay somebody to give you a tune. You've got a great truck with known mechanical failures that you obviously are going to correct. The world is your oyster.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. I have a feeling and it’s a good thing that I’ll get a fair amount of I hads and I made these mistakes kinda comments and I’ll greatly benefit from other’s mistakes or trial and errors. The lb7 has its problems but it’s what I got. So hopefully with any suggestions I get I can make it the best it can be

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
As far as I know, it's still the engine you can tune the most power out of. Biggest percent gain. Even with everything I've done on a 15-year-old truck, the new ones have that power stock. Is what it is

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.