Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 03 D'Max did not cool on hot days over 80+
, but seemed fine otherwise. Here is what the work order says they did :

Perform A/C System Check per 02-01-38-007A.
Recalculate Actuators per ST Doc #904666.
Evacuate & Recharge system using 1.6# R-134 per bulletin 02-01-38-007Now it's a meat locker!!

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
<H1>Poor A/C Performance - A/C will not Blow Cold Enough (Perform A/C System Checks) #02-01-38-007A - (06/05/2003)</H1>
<TABLE>
<T>
<TR>
<TD>Table 1:</TD>
<TD>A/C Performance Table - 6.6L</TD></TR></T></TABLE>Poor A/C Performance -- A/C Will Not Blow Cold Enough (Perform A/C System Checks)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado

2003 GMC Sierra

with 6.6L Diesel Engine (VIN 1 -- RPO LB7)

This bulletin is being revised to update a temperature reading under Condition and to change the A/C Performance Table under Correction. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-01-38-007 (Section 01 -- HVAC).<A name=ss1-1341169><A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1341169&evc=numSrch#ss1-1341169" target="_blank">
<H5>Condition</A></H5>

Some customers may comment on less than desirable A/C performance, especially when ambient temperature is above 32°C (90°F).<A name=ss2-1341169><A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1341169&evc=numSrch#ss2-1341169" target="_blank">
<H5>Correction</A></H5>

If normal diagnostics do not lead to a correction, then perform the following A/C system checks.

1. <LI =1>Re-calibrate the actuators. Refer to Recalibrating Actuators in the HVAC System - Manual/Automatic sub-section of the Service Manual (SI Document ID #904666).
    <LI =1>Inspect the lower A/C condenser deflector for proper installation. The deflector should be positioned at the lower part of the condenser and extend forward into the top of the front bumper and below the two fresh air intake holes.
    <LI =1>Check the engine cooling fan clutch for proper operation. Refer to Fan Clutch Diagnosis in the Engine Cooling sub-section of the Service Manual (SI Document ID #774320).
    <LI =1>If the vehicle is equipped with a front license plate, inspect for proper installation. If the license plate bracket is installed upside down, it will block part of the two fresh air intake holes in the bumper. When the license plate bracket is installed correctly, the writing on the back of the bracket will be upside down.
    <LI =1>Some improvements have been found by lowering the A/C charge from 0.82 kg (1.8 lbs) to 0.73 kg (1.6 lbs). When recovering the A/C charge, recovery must be pulled for at least 45 minutes.
    <LI =1>Check the low pressure cycling switch for proper operation. The low pressure switch opens at 148 kPa (21.5 psi), which stops compressor operation and closes when the low side pressure reaches 276 kPa (40 psi). This enables the compressor to turn back on.
    <LI =1>When performing the refrigerant system performance test, refer to the updated specification chart listed below. </LI>
<TABLE width="100%" border=1><A name=tab3-1341169><A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1341169&evc=numSrch#tab3-1341169" target="_blank">
<H4>A/C Performance Table - 6.6L</H4></A>
<T>
<TR>
<TH vAlign=bottom align=middle rowSpan=2>

Ambient Air Temperature</TH>

Relative Humidity</TH>
<TH vAlign=bottom align=middle colSpan=2>

Service Port Pressure</TH>

Maximum Discharge Air Temperature</TH></TR>
<TR>
<TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>

Low Side </TH>
<TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>

High Side</TH></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=center align=middle>

13-18°C (55-65°F)</TD>

0-100%</TD>

150-279 kPa (22-41 psi)</TD>

420-1140 kPa (61-165 psi)</TD>

9°C (48°F)</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=center align=middle rowSpan=2>

19-24°C (66-75°F)</TD>

Below 40%</TD>
<TD

·
Registered
217 Posts
But can you believe some of the temps that are considered acceptable. Explain how 80 degree air is going to cool off your interior when it is 105 outside!!!
. This sure seems to be a CYA document on the Generals part!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CS-Dmax,

Can't speak to the 80/105 but I can say that when presented with this information in advance my dealer fixed my truck the first time in and it is ice cold now regardless of outside temp. Most days I have had to run the fan on 1 and the temp on 74 or I get froze! That is a huge difference from before they fixed it with this TSB as the basis!

Since most of us don't have access to dmaxalliTech, this information helps a lot, especially if there is a uncooperative stealer involved! It keeps them from playing games and tellin you you're nuts or don't know what you're talkin about or sayin no one else is havin this problem! Or whatever other line of BS they might try to sling!

2DAMAX

·
Registered
217 Posts
Oh, I agree whole heartedly. I got mine fixed a couple months ago based on the same TSB. I too feel dmaxalliTech is an invaluable resource to the forum membership. My comments were directed at the load of BS that the General wants to stuff down the throats of us, the buyer of a $40,000+ truck. To say that those kind of vent temps are acceptable is beyond belief.

dmaxalliTech, I hope you did not think that my rant was directed at you. If so, I apologize for that. Not my intent.

John

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
CS-Dmax said:
dmaxalliTech, I hope you did not think that my rant was directed at you. If so, I apologize for that. Not my intent.

John

John, never even thought of it. You have nothing to apologize for. I have found that by providing a few minutes of time, I am able to help alot of you get your issues handled in a more responsive way, thats why I do it, and I appreciate all the kind things your all saying, It makes it worth while

·
Registered
473 Posts
My dealer performed the items on the bulletin, I must say it did help quite a bit. My wife has a 2003 Tahoe and it cools so much faster, It will freeze you out if you leave the automatic temp set to 60, even when the temp is above 95. I have to leave my 2003 Duramax on 60 all the time when the temp is over 85 outside. To keep it halfway cool. The Service manager did tell me the Tahoe uses a different compressor.

·
Registered
83 Posts
demaxalliTech

Will the TSB address the output of the fan in regards to the settings(1 thru 5)? The switch at times when on 5 seems no more air than level 2 and seems to have a mind of its own. I have an early 02 LT

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
aztjc said:
demaxalliTech

Will the TSB address the output of the fan in regards to the settings(1 thru 5)? The switch at times when on 5 seems no more air than level 2 and seems to have a mind of its own. I have an early 02 LT

Sounds like you may have other issues there, On level 5, the speed is just like level 2? Could be a blower resistor or switch

·
Registered
391 Posts
BROUGHT MINE IN YESTERDAY AND THEY SAID THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG......IT'S CLOSE TO WINTER SO I SAID "oK" AND STILL HAVE 35 MONTHS LEFT ON WARRENTY SO WILL BE BACK IN THE SPRING!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Are these ;

Perform A/C System Check per 02-01-38-007A.
Recalculate Actuators per ST Doc #904666.
Evacuate & Recharge system using 1.6# R-134 per bulletin 02-01-38-007

only for the 2003 with climate control?

Are there other TSB's aimed at 2002?

Had cycle switch changed (#89040362) evac & recharged @1.8 lbs.

outside [email protected] 94 deg. , output in center vent putting out 56 deg. I would think it should be cooler.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just did the above mentioned bulletin and still does not work properly.

It was 93 outside and at max fan on center vent did not go below 56. What is everybody else getting?? I remember my 2001 Silverado 6.0 had a weak AC. I live in Southern CA so no humidity down here.

Marco Polo

2003 2500HD Duramax

·
Registered
68 Posts
This is also being covered on http://dieselplace.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1344&PN=2

Topic: A/C Insufficient cooling problem

In that thread GMCSID states

I learned today the insufficient A/C cooling problem on Duramax equipped trucks has been pinpointed to the accumulator. GM is coming out with a new one soon to correct the problem. Some have attempted to repair this with a different oriface tube and a lower refrigerent charge. GM recommends you wait for the new part instead.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Has anyone heard any more on Notsdale's comment on a new accumulator as a fix for this issue? My '04 has the same problem but I'm waiting for it to heat up so it's easier to test.

Bob

·
Registered
473 Posts
The Service Manager at my local GM Dealership has told me he seen about it, and is wating for the TSB to come out. He advised me he would contact me as soon as he gets the TSB. Maybe if dmaxalliTech or some of the GM Tech's here on The Diesel Place see this they may know more about the accumulator being the problem. I sure hope they have it out by summer here in Wyoming!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I took mine to the dealer for this. They told me to bring it back next Summer!

·
Registered
165 Posts
BigMoe,

If you hear from your service mgr on this let us know please.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
473 Posts
Bob,

I will and I am sure dmaxalliTech, GMCSID or some of the other GM Tech's will also, they had been in some of the dicussions about it. I don't have to worry about that for a few more months but I am sure there are some that don't. Right now I worry about getting the cab warm enough.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts