Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has taken out their stock deck and put it back in? My neighbor wants to swap my cd/tape deck for his 6cd deck. Works out great for me cause I dont use the tape and he needs it. Heard there are security code issuses and how about the xm stuff? Anything else to look out for.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
747 Posts
I read somewhere that you would have to take the stereo you swap into your truck to a dealership and have them reprogram it to work in your truck. I think it has to do with the theft deterrent system. I think I read that on e-bay as a person was selling his 6 disc bose. It also said something about the "RDS" sound systems will only work in another vehicle that came from the factory with an "RDS" system. The description did not say anything about the satellite radio. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great to know! Im still waiting to hear from the dealership. Any info would be of help. I really hope it works cause its a great deal!

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
radio has to be set to VIN or else it wont work, has to communicate on the Class-2 data line. Good dealer should be able to handle it with out much trouble.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info! Ill give another dealer a call. The one by my house said it cant be done??? Go figure. Something aint jivin.

Edited by: bybycop

·
Registered
473 Posts
You even had to take it to a GM dealership if you unplug the power plug from the Radio. My son found that out with a 01 Pontiac Grana Am. He pulled the Radio to do some work in dash behind it.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
The radio must have been set up for theftlock. If you override theft lock, it wont go into 'loc' mode when power is interupted

·
Registered
473 Posts
Thank You for clearing that up dmaxalliTech.
You should know. My son's Grand Am did have theft lock activated. I learn something new every day. It is nice having a GM Certified Tech on this forum. I worked in a Chevy, Caddy dealer as a mechanic about 30 years ago. Boy have things changed since then. I never dreamed people would have to have a computer to work on a automobile.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
first you have to know the unlock code. If you dont know that, forget it. Well, I might know something
. The owners manual will take you through step by step on how to arm and disarm the theftlock system. I usually have to look in there to refresh myself as I dont deal with them everyday. I do know how to unlock the radio when its locked and can override the theftlock at that point and disable it but I have to refer to manual to do what you wanna do.

Eric

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
You will have to leave it up to the dealer. They are talking about theftlock which is found on '02 and older trucks and older cars. Your truck uses a different system involving class 2 data and the dealer will need to do it for you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts