Diesel Place banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just filled up my truck yesterday with B20 Biodiesel like always, but this time after a few miles, the truck runs like crap. stalls out going down the highway, and I cannot push the throttle very hard or it stalls. Any ideas? Bad fuel? I was thinking clogged fule filter, but I just changed it not to long ago. Are my injectors going bad already? Only have 60,000 miles on the truck with a nictane filter.

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Is it cold where your at?Could your fuel be gelling?I would check the fuel filters out again too!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was cold a few days ago, but now it is back into the upper 30's lower 40's. Wasn't cold yesterday when I filled it up with Bio deisel.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
It does not take much for Biodiesel to start to fall out at cold temps and then it will be picked up by the tube in the tank(near the bottom) and your CAT will clog.

·
Registered
295 Posts
change your filters and run some stanadyne fuel treatment for a tank or two and you should be good to go. that is my guess

·
Registered
535 Posts
The Biodiesel will loosen deposits in the fuel system, quite possibly clogging the filter in a short time.

The first thing I would do is replace the fuel filter. It is quick, easy, and will probably fix the issue.

·
Registered
233 Posts
French Fry

I wonder if a French fry made it past the Fuel Filters......:lol:

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
this is what I would do.

The Biodiesel will loosen deposits in the fuel system, quite possibly clogging the filter in a short time.

The first thing I would do is replace the fuel filter. It is quick, easy, and will probably fix the issue.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, you guys were right. Changed the nictane CAT filter and it runs great. Now I am confused on what to do. I dumped the fuel out of the old filter, and it was still very heavy. Not sure if the Bio Diesel gelled up in there or if it is crap from my tank. I am wondering if I should keep running the Biodiesel or swithc back to ULSD. It is getting cold in Michigan. Is B20 ok for winter temps? I never had a single problem with ULSD clogging filters.

·
Registered
295 Posts
i actually done a research project on this for school not to long ago and biofuel tends to gel right at the freezing point. the way around this is to mix the biofuel with reg. diesel but that is a pain so you would probably want to run regular fuel until the warmer months

·
Registered
535 Posts
Straight Biodiesel (B99 or B100) will start to go solid on you at about the same temperatures as water freezes, and will be "problematic" at temperatures starting in the high 30's (F).

B20 is OK for MOST winter temperatures, though using a good winter fuel additive is a good habit to avoid problems.
B80 is good for temps in the 20's (F).

What probably happened is your first tank of B20 loosened up & cleaned out most of the deposits, which clogged your filter. This is typical behavior on the first tank. If you keep using the B20 from time to time the deposits won't build up over time.

·
Registered
16,234 Posts
Straight Biodiesel (B99 or B100) will start to go solid on you at about the same temperatures as water freezes, and will be "problematic" at temperatures starting in the high 30's (F).

B20 is OK for MOST winter temperatures, though using a good winter fuel additive is a good habit to avoid problems.
B80 is good for temps in the 20's (F).

What probably happened is your first tank of B20 loosened up & cleaned out most of the deposits, which clogged your filter. This is typical behavior on the first tank. If you keep using the B20 from time to time the deposits won't build up over time.
I agree with that

1 - 12 of 12 Posts