Diesel Place banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Diesel Head, Formerly78gmc4x4
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad has a 2003 Chevy 3500 CC LB 4x4 dually that is currently getting its 4th set of injectors put in. It has 236,000 miles on it so he’s eating the cost on this one. The dealership, (Ben Davis Chevrolet in Auburn Indiana), is charging him $367.36/injector plus $100 core charge for the injectors currently in the motor. The dealer said he won’t get the core charge back UNLESS they have some special GM stamp on them. So he’s going to be charged $467.36 per RE-MAN injector! Anyone know what this GM stamp is or looks like and why it matters on a dealer core charge?

I’m can’t believe they can even charge this much per injector in the first place. I can get brand new ones from Toxic Diesel (http://toxicdiesel.com/product_info.php?products_id=2112) for $275.50 each and that’s with a $150 core, so $425 without a core. I don’t understand how a dealer can charge more for re-man than I can get new somewhere else. I’ve also found on the web where I can get re-man injector for $190 with a $150 core.

So here my issues with the GM dealership;
-no core rebate, unless they have this special GM stamp then you get $100. Everywhere web-site I have looked at gives a minimum of $150. So is GM pocketing the extra $50 they get back from Bosch?

-injector price…OUTRAGIUOS! $467.36 re-man no core, $275.50 new $150 core, which gives you a difference = $191.86 extra charge per injector. So my dad is getting soaked for an extra $1500 and getting re-man injectors on top of that. Is it just me or does this just seem wrong?

Anyone else have a similar experience to this? Any suggestions on how he can get the $150 core charge back that I feel, per market rate, he should get back?

Thanks in Advance for you help,

Caleb

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
The GM part (97729095) does have a $100 core. I don't see why they won't reimburse it, especially if the last set is GM.
They are boning you on price; current list price is only $322.25. So you should be paying $2578 for the injectors after receiving the core credit, or $3378 with no core credit (both before tax obviously).

Returning the cores to GMSPO does require a "light core ID label", which are free to dealers and placed on each injector box by the parts department before shipping them back; if the person you talked to doesn't understand the process I guess he might think there's something on the part itself.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm not looking forward to the day I have to replace the injectors, but from what I've read on here, that does sound a little high. I'd try another dealer if it's feasible.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Order a set, get out your tools, some hand cleaner and dig in man. Save the old man a few grand, I bet you get something good for Christmas. :D

·
Registered
393 Posts
Try another steeler. something sounds kinda funny if you ask me.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
The "stamp" is probably just some JB weld or something they put on them last time the bodies cracked and went bad in someones truck.....I agree with bud...do the job yourself its not too bad, trust me ive done it

·
Registered
16,239 Posts
you can also get a set from kennedy, he is a vendor here....last time I checked he charged 250 each plus core....

·
Registered
515 Posts
If you insist on using a stupid GM dealer. Call Kelley on State street in Fort Wayne, NOT the joke a$$ automall. They do know the Duramax well and do honor more reasonable prices. Don't be afraid to ask for a better deal, had them drop the price at the counter for depending on who you get to talk to. I would personally get them online though.

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
take it to another dealer..
can't work is already being done. he needs the truck back ASAP which is why he quit dicking with him. He has two truck for his work, the longer it's off the road, the more money he loses. He's already lost two loads, one to Flordia and one to Montana. He figures that's about $4g's he's lost in work alone.

Hopefully it will be done friday and then we can go back on them about the prices and core charge.

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Order a set, get out your tools, some hand cleaner and dig in man. Save the old man a few grand, I bet you get something good for Christmas. :D
I've rebuilt a couple gas motors, wouldn't know where to start on that LB7! Do you need any special tools? Anyone has an step by step instrustion manual on how to do this? I'm sure there are a lot of torque specs that would be needed too.

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The GM part (97729095) does have a $100 core. I don't see why they won't reimburse it, especially if the last set is GM.
They are boning you on price; current list price is only $322.25. So you should be paying $2578 for the injectors after receiving the core credit, or $3378 with no core credit (both before tax obviously).

Returning the cores to GMSPO does require a "light core ID label", which are free to dealers and placed on each injector box by the parts department before shipping them back; if the person you talked to doesn't understand the process I guess he might think there's something on the part itself.
Last set isn't GM, those were installed at a local shop. But still, I think he should get something back GM or not. Either way they all go back to bosch.

97729095 is the part number the service manager told me they were putting in and the cost was $367.36. Where did you get the $322.25 price from? Any info you can give me about that would be great. Then I'll have a leg to stand on when I go back to them on that! :D

This ID label is on the part box and not on the part? From what he told me and from what I understand. Each GM injector has some kind of "stamp" on it to show that's it's a GM part. My guess is that it has something to do with the 97729095 number. My guess is all the GM injectors have this part number and the aftermarket have a diffent number.

·
Registered
440 Posts
From what I'm reading it is quit a long day swapping injectors. There's a few good write ups around here and I've found a few on the web too. A couple of specialty tools, mainly 5mm allen keys/sockets, swivels and the tool to pop the injectors out is pricey and not available locally. Biggest concern I've found is the trash that falls into the injectors when your removing things if your not replacing all injectors. Good luck with the dealership. Karma has a way of coming around. I would go by or call the shop and ask the tech that is doing the work to examine the inners of the fuel system real good and possibly flush the lines before assembly along with cleaning the inside of the fuel lines good. Also get you a flashlight when you pick it up and make sure you don't see anything missing or loose in those hard to reach and see places. Get what your paying for!

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Last set isn't GM, those were installed at a local shop. But still, I think he should get something back GM or not. Either way they all go back to bosch.

97729095 is the part number the service manager told me they were putting in and the cost was $367.36. Where did you get the $322.25 price from? Any info you can give me about that would be great. Then I'll have a leg to stand on when I go back to them on that! :D

This ID label is on the part box and not on the part? From what he told me and from what I understand. Each GM injector has some kind of "stamp" on it to show that's it's a GM part. My guess is that it has something to do with the 97729095 number. My guess is all the GM injectors have this part number and the aftermarket have a diffent number.
$322.25 is the current GM list price; some dealers charge "escalated list" where everything has a certain percentage added on. You should be able to call a few dealers around and have them give you a quote for the parts only, most dealers only charge MSRP. I can fax you one if you like, but we're behind the times enough where I can't email it.

There is no core ID label on the box as received, only a part number sticker. All light cores being returned to SPO (injectors or otherwise) have to have an ID label placed on them by the parts department prior to shipment. I've not seen anything from GM about inspecting the old parts for a GM number or stamp, etc. They do want snapshots and balance rates returned with the cores on any job paid under the policy, however.

Ask them what they do when they replace an alternator or starter, many cars have a/m parts on them, but GM takes the cores back with no problems. Same with p/s pumps, etc.

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, he got the truck back a couple weeks ago. They were going to charge him for cores until he asked for the parts back:eek:. Then they kindly changed their mind and didn't:confused:. AKA "we threw the parts away" or " we already sent them back to Bosch to be rebuild and we got our $150 core already".....:bling:

Either way the truck is back on the road and back to work and trying to recope the money he had to spend.

I think as soon as he see's one puff of white smoke...... that thing is GONE....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.