Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Stock 2500 with LB7
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, a few questions I have about my new to me Duramax. Here are a few photos to help with my questions as you can tell, fuel rail pressure seems to be fine which eliminates the need for me asking about a lift pump right now. Currently have the Bluetooth OBD2 reader with the torque app and figured out how to get my balance rates working thanks to this forum. 247xxx, starts fine in the cold.

1. After looking at the balance rates am I in danger of melting anyting with that high of a balance rate as I currently do not have the funds to replace the injectors. Should I stop driving the truck? She is my daily driver right now and probably commute 6280 miles a day. Never mind I cannot post a photo so I will just tell you.

The worst is cylinder 4 at 9.9 (has gotten to 11.6 before) cylinder 3 -3.9
And cylinder 8 is around -4.5

2. Engine temp on gauge cluster rarely exceeds the first quarter hash mark (185) but torque app reads about 150-165 on avg) not sure why though.

A preemptive thank you for all your time and consideration to read through this and try to give me your words of wisdom and input as my intent is to keep this truck for the Long Haul. Also has Allison a1000 tranny in it so as far as I'm concerned there's nothing wrong with that issues wise.

·
Registered
2003 Stock 2500 with LB7
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention that I'm using Diesel Kleen it about every tank as well. Could this be the cause? Asking as if maybe I'm cleaning them too much and this is why the injector rate is at 11. I don't think this would be the problem but I don't know enough to know better.

·
Administrator
16,004 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace
Please take a moment to fill out your signature with vehicle info( Year, Make, and Model) and list any known mods.
Also, please list a general location into your profile (ie. State, etc..)
When this is completed the info will appear with each post you create and will assist the other members when giving you diagnostic or repair advice.

:thumb:

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you have an LB7 you need to set aside cash for injectors unless you have proof of when they where changed and proof of the injectors that were used. Lincoln Diesel sells SAC style injectors which should improve their lifespan. I personally would not drive a truck with injectors dumping fuel but you don't mention excessive smoke or noise. I would send an oil sample in to have it analyzed for fuel contamination. If an injector is stuck and dumping fuel it will show up. Your fuel rail pressure really will not be effected by a lift pump. The lift pump will change the fuel system from vacuum to pressure to the CP3. It will also help prevent collapsed fuel lines and help diagnose areas where you could possibly be sucking air under vacuum and add extra filtration. Your fuel rail pressure is 25KPSI for example while the lift pump pressure to the CP3 is 10PSI.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I put to much Diesel Kleen in once and it made my truck smoke, had one injector go to 8-9. Backed off on it and made sure to get good fuel and have had no problems since. The injector is usually around 1.5-3 now

·
Registered
2003 Stock 2500 with LB7
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you have an LB7 you need to set aside cash for injectors unless you have proof of when they where changed and proof of the injectors that were used. Lincoln Diesel sells SAC style injectors which should improve their lifespan. I personally would not drive a truck with injectors dumping fuel but you don't mention excessive smoke or noise. I would send an oil sample in to have it analyzed for fuel contamination. If an injector is stuck and dumping fuel it will show up. Your fuel rail pressure really will not be effected by a lift pump. The lift pump will change the fuel system from vacuum to pressure to the CP3. It will also help prevent collapsed fuel lines and help diagnose areas where you could possibly be sucking air under vacuum and add extra filtration. Your fuel rail pressure is 25KPSI for example while the lift pump pressure to the CP3 is 10PSI.

So now the truck is smoking pretty badly. Need to order injector kit. Going to do them myself with a buddy who is a diesel mechanic. When you say Sac, what does that refer to? My budget is 2600 roughly for a cat right now. I have the money I just need to order the parts and material. Any suggestions on what kit to order would be much appreciated within that price range. Dealership quoted me $3,100 without the $800 core charge included with that price. Which is out of my price range. Looking to just get a kid that will get me by for the next few years and then probably will replace with better ones at that point. I have been driving the truck consistently and is currently dumping quite a bit of fuel from the injectors. Looking to do this within the next few weeks. In terms of noise the noise from the engine is about consistent as it was when I purchased the truck.

·
Administrator
16,004 Posts
So now the truck is smoking pretty badly. Need to order injector kit. Going to do them myself with a buddy who is a diesel mechanic. When you say Sac, what does that refer to? My budget is 2600 roughly for a cat right now. I have the money I just need to order the parts and material. Any suggestions on what kit to order would be much appreciated within that price range. Dealership quoted me $3,100 without the $800 core charge included with that price. Which is out of my price range. Looking to just get a kid that will get me by for the next few years and then probably will replace with better ones at that point. I have been driving the truck consistently and is currently dumping quite a bit of fuel from the injectors. Looking to do this within the next few weeks. In terms of noise the noise from the engine is about consistent as it was when I purchased the truck.
Some of our Supporting Vendors can help answer your questions and offer some advice on what kit you may need:

Brent over at Lincoln Diesel Specialties:
https://lincolndiesel.webs.com/

John Kennedy @ Kennedy Diesel
http://www.kennedydiesel.com/

·
Registered
2003 Stock 2500 with LB7
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update, replacing injectors June 5-6. Got it delivered via diesel logic. Turbo pipe boots via xdp. Hope she does good after. Also bought bluetooth reader for obd2 port and torque app. Balance rates are horrid to say the least. But hoping for the best.

·
Administrator
16,004 Posts
Update, replacing injectors June 5-6. Got it delivered via diesel logic. Turbo pipe boots via xdp. Hope she does good after. Also bought bluetooth reader for obd2 port and torque app. Balance rates are horrid to say the least. But hoping for the best.
An Internet Google search shows this as the next link after their business page link:

:whistle:
Fingers crossed you have no issues

·
Registered
2003 Stock 2500 with LB7
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah for sure. Actually just got the injectors done this last weekend with a shop. Gage actually matches what the app is telling me finally! :D

·
Registered
2003 Stock 2500 with LB7
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
An Internet Google search shows this as the next link after their business page link:

:whistle:
Fingers crossed you have no issues
Just got the truck back last night check the balance rates so far everything is humming and purring just fine. I'll keep an eye on it though over the next few weeks and see how it goes. Maybe I got lucky with a good set? Going to fill up today after work and going to throw some stanadyne in as well.

·
Registered
2003 Stock 2500 with LB7
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And what I discovered as well With a little bit of humor found out if I squeeze my radiator hose my thermostats pop wide open that is with the old set. In other words they weren't even closing. So let's just say my radiator was cooling very well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello everybody, a few questions I have about my new to me Duramax. Here are a few photos to help with my questions as you can tell, fuel rail pressure seems to be fine which eliminates the need for me asking about a lift pump right now. Currently have the Bluetooth OBD2 reader with the torque app and figured out how to get my balance rates working thanks to this forum. 247xxx, starts fine in the cold.

1. After looking at the balance rates am I in danger of melting anyting with that high of a balance rate as I currently do not have the funds to replace the injectors. Should I stop driving the truck? She is my daily driver right now and probably commute 6280 miles a day. Never mind I cannot post a photo so I will just tell you.

The worst is cylinder 4 at 9.9 (has gotten to 11.6 before) cylinder 3 -3.9
And cylinder 8 is around -4.5

2. Engine temp on gauge cluster rarely exceeds the first quarter hash mark (185) but torque app reads about 150-165 on avg) not sure why though.

A preemptive thank you for all your time and consideration to read through this and try to give me your words of wisdom and input as my intent is to keep this truck for the Long Haul. Also has Allison a1000 tranny in it so as far as I'm concerned there's nothing wrong with that issues wise.
I used diesel Kleen for a year or so and found one of my injectors jumped to 8-9 and would get blue smoke sometime(probably put to much Diesel Kleen in). Switched to Stanadyne and have had no issues and injectors are all within +\-1 now. May have been some bad diesel as well not too sure but very happy with the new additive.

·
Registered
2003 Stock 2500 with LB7
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I used diesel Kleen for a year or so and found one of my injectors jumped to 8-9 and would get blue smoke sometime(probably put to much Diesel Kleen in). Switched to Stanadyne and have had no issues and injectors are all within +\-1 now. May have been some bad diesel as well not too sure but very happy with the new additive.
Sweet that's good to know thank you for that input. Yeah so far been very happy with the stanadyne! Getting about 25-28 mpg currently.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts