Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after pulling a bonehead and thinking the TCM was the ECM I finally got on the right track. Should have read the next paragraph that explained all that. Oh well.

So here are a few snapshots from the 4 hour fiasco in the dark and cold. Flashlight batteries went dead. Burnt my dash with the propane soldering iron.

Im so clumsy!

I went through the firewall where the main harness was. Its moved to the right on the 03. I wrapped the 20 guage wire over the end of a very skinny flat blade screwdriver and taped it. I then pushed it through the boot where I had already punched a hole. I got under the dash and grabbed the wire and fed the rest through. I soldered all connections and shrunk tube them. Tied them all up and routed to the center console. I drilled 2 tiny holes for the switch and toggle. Put it all together and tested. Works like a charm 1200/1750 rpm's.

Oh by the way the new harness/firewall throughway is by the drivers side fender by the hood release cable.

Thanks to somebody who clued me in about ecm/tcm harness.

How long do you let it idle before kicking in high idle when cold??

The last pic is shown so you can see where the old (02) harness was. Mine has been moved to the right (03).Edited by: problemchild

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Nice job! The one thing that I did differently...they said to remove both BLUE and RED...I just removed the Blue....when I went to reinstall the Blue I used the Red as a guage for seeing how much to tighten the Blue on the ECM.

I looked at the TCM for awhile also trying to figure out if it was the ECM also

Also for the first time using the high idle for the day you have to press the set twice.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I usually hit the high idle right after starting but it won't rev up until a while later. I'm guessing the ECM won't let it go above normal idle until a certain paramater is achieved (engine temp maybe???). I'll be walking away and then I'll hear her start to climb in RPMs to the high idle point.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts