Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i went to the drag strip a few days ago truck sounded good. when i left the track i notice the truck had a louder knocking sound. its all the time, in park or driving. my buddys said i was hearing things but once we got home and they heard it standing outside they all agreed it def has a knock. sounds like a rod bearing type of knock. for some reason my tech 2 wont give me balance rates so i dont have that info yet. does not smoke at all, runs like it did when i left home. turning off injector 1 seems to make the most effect on the sound. seems to deaden the knock. i have stock push rods, is it possible that one could be bent just a little causing the sound or does anyone have any better ideas?

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: subscribed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
balance rates are within gm spec, the most u ever see is -2. just drained a little oil into a cup trough a strainer didnt see and metal. going to cut apart the filter next. rail presser is 6500 desired and actual. andbody have any other ideas on things to check bf i start taking apart the truck?

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
I'd check valve lash and pushrods. From what I've read on this forum is that valves out of adjustment can cause a more severe knock. If you bent a pushrod like you think it could be causing the louder knock with no noticable driveablity issues.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Had a LB7 that sounded like the rods were fixing to go at any minute. Ended up being a bad injector nozzle. Considering everything that's in your signature, I'd say that would be your problem (IMO).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i took the valve cover off last night and ran the truck, all the rocker arms seem to have the right amount of clearance, i didnt have anything to mearsure them, but i will. pushrods apear straight. put a steathascope to any and everything that i cound see on top of the head. def sound like #1 cylinder. can turn off #1 injector and sound deadens but doesnt go away. sound is the worst with a steathascope on the side of the block at cylinder #1. thinking rod bearing at this molment. does anybody have anything else i can check before i go ahead and ripp out the motor?? its not worth pulling the pan on my truck because part of the lift kit has to come out just to pull the lower pan. at that point its has no front suspention to push it outside everyday. its a joke. going to do a injector return test to see if any injectors are returning to much fuel. can an injector make knock noises even when the balance rates are good? with the steathascope all the injectors sound the same to me so i dont think thats the problem.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the ideas so far guys

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
one thing that really puzzles me is that after i noticed the knock i still drove it home 3.5 hrs and didnt seem to get worse. drove 70 pluse non stop. you would think if it was bearing making the sound it would have finished itself off before i got home. dont ya think or not nessesarly?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
found some metal in my filter. just my luck, sounds like ill be playing doctor this weekend

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have an old 02 and for some reason every once in a while it starts ticking loud like a rod or something I have put many miles on it the knock comes and goes I had someone tell me that the oil pump can slap in these and sound scary bad i wish I knew what the deal really was

1 - 11 of 11 Posts