Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been 0 or less this week and my truck keeps freezing up. I put winter flow in the first tank then a quart of red alert in the second tank yet I still have to keep putting the bullet heater to it to get it running. Should I siphon the tank and start with fresh fuel. I already replaced the stock fuel filter twice. Patience is getting thin. Guy at the fuel station says they can't figure out the correct blend for winter use. Is it possible to have alot of ice in the tank without the water light going off.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Glasshacker, Do you have stanedyne performance formula where you live? if you do ,use it in double dose. Getting rid of the fuel thats in there now is not a bad idea.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i also keep gelling up even with power service and would like to know if there is a heater on fuel filter that maybe is not working mine starts great but then gets up the road and have to tow it back

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have been having these same problems here in Northern Minnesota. I have roughly 3x the recommended dose of Stanadyne or Power Service in my tank and my Nicktane filter kept freezing up going down the road. Yesterday I disconnected the in and out hoses from the Nicktane and bypassed it and now the truck seems to be running awesome!

I am not sure whether you have an aux filter or not, but if so, check and see if it is the source of the problem. Mine makes sense to me I guess since it sits way back there and is in the cold. I have cut open one of the 4 filters I have put on it in the last 3 weeks and it is just covered with a waxy substance caused by freezing or gelling.

Hope this helps.
Curtis

·
LT. Dan
6,817 Posts
there has been so many people gelling lately. what ive heard is since there was a huge push for the ULSD to come out someone dropped the ball and didnt think about winter blend. the station here in billings where i get my fuel still doesnt have winter blend. and usually we get it in oct/nov....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My truck is all stock except for edge with attitude moniter. I use the stock filter system. What is the small radiator thing in front of the fuel tank? I'm going to let this thing idle till its empty then put fresh fuel in it. Seems I keep hearing about stanadyne, I guess I will give it a try. This is still b/s having to buy these expensive additives when they are already boning us on fuel prices in the first place. I never had aproblem with this truck till now. Now i'm afraid to go somewhere and shut it off with fear of the walk light coming on.

·
LT. Dan
6,817 Posts
that radiator is the fuel cooler. cools the fuel comming from the engine

·
Registered
224 Posts
with the wind chills here the past two weeks- it has ben 0 to minus 15 degrees. i have also used the white bottle power service in the winter. i have not had a problem. like stated earlier- buy your diesel from another retailer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do You live in the Central states? Your problem could be the diesel gelling. This part of the country has lots of biodiesel which causes alot of problems when gets cold. They do not have to state on the pump that it is bio. Some of the d max are having alot of problems after they set over night but not after they are running. I presume that gm runs a finer fuel filter than the rest. Also some additives say to put more in if you are running bio. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
273 Posts
All you guys gelling you might want to make sure your fuel heater is working .... your fuel filter should be warm ... if I remember it should keep the fuel around the low 70F at all times passing through .... put a scan tool on and see what is says for fuel temp.

Worth a shot ... if others in your area are running without problems then I would look at my fuel heater for sure or as stated another fuel station.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i was not sure if the filter had a heater or not but know i know thanks what kind of sence does it make to heat it if you just cool it off at tank cooler once a filter gells does it stay plugged with wax or once it warms up doea the wax go liquid again thanks for the help

·
Registered
273 Posts
As far as I know it will turn back to liquid ... the reason for heating the fuel at the filter is to keep it from gelling in the filter ... that is where the fuel filter trys to take out any lumps of dirt or gell that is too big to fit through your injectors.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Couple weeks ago, I limped my truck no enough fuel, PDA showed improper fuel pressure. Figured it was a gelled up fuel filter, I replaced it and turned down the Six Gun from level 3 to level 1. :rolleyes: Maybe that was part of the problem that limped. I have put double the dose of the PS in every tank. Nno issues yet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
thanks for all the help and answers i wish you all could help with all the **** i am getting from everyone i know about my lame truck

·
Registered
8 Posts
justed checked fuel temp is 113 idling maybe i just got bad fuel twice or i have to drain it but i do have alot of power service911 in it or i need a filter i dont know getting ready to cut my filter open and see if the wax is in it or gone now

·
Registered
8 Posts
no wax but filter is full of moisture even after draining seperator so i sucked fuel off the bottom or as close to the bottom of tank as i could get it too had water in it put on new filter going down in single digits in a few days i guess i will dress warm and hope for the best

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
i agree though you're getting some bad fuel. I usually run FPPF lubricity and have never had a gel issue(yet). In SE Wisconsin so I've seen the teens in the -'s and I park outside without ever even plugging in and had no fuel issues.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts