Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know how to disable the door chime on the 03's. I dont want to turn it down through the radio, I want to turn it OFF completely. I cant believe that GM actually programed this intentionally. What possible purpose could it serve other than to let you neighbors down the road know your now entering or leaving your truck?

Was doing some cleaning on the inside of the truck a while back and wanted to listen to some XM. Well after about 15 seconds of DING DING DING DING I was ready to kick in the speaker.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I am sure there is an elegant and high tech way to disable the chime. I read yesterday about being able to shut it off my moving the door latch mechanism to the latched position (with the door open). Just like you they wanted to listen to the radio with the door open.

Any way, I went home and tried it. It works! Now it seems to me that you should be able to disable the switch that is in the door latch. You will have to disassemble the door panel to get to it but it should work. One other problem, it also turns off the dome light and the security system thinks the door is close. If I were doing to do a lot of work with the doors open, I would put in a toggle switch in series with the latch switch.

One other thing, if you try to close the door with the latch in the closed position, you may damage the latch so don’t forget it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
And one other thing. It doesn't chime when my rear doors (crew cab) are open.

So I just forget the front doors and open the rears.

I'd still like to quiet it down a little, so I complained (tounge-in-cheek) to my service guy and he passed it on to GM.

Now if we ALL complain.......

on edit - this is for '03 trucks. I think you can disable the chime on the '01-'02 trucks without disabling the rest of the features. I saw it on a post once. Somewere.Edited by: conradv

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Chime Adjustment Procedure

The radio is the vehicle chime producer. To change the volume level, press and hold pushbutton 6 with the ignition on and the radio power off. The chime volume level will change from the normal level to loud, and LOUD will appear on the radio display. To change back to the default or normal setting, press and hold pushbutton 6 again. The chime level will change from the loud level to normal, and NORMAL will appear on the radio display. Each time the chime volume is changed, three chimes will sound as an example of the new volume selected. Removing the radio and not replacing it with a factory radio or chime module will disable vehicle chimes.

You can turn it off by doing what ag4gt said. To install a switch you would need to install it in circuit 745 of this diagram.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts