Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Dmax w/ 32,500 miles. Hard as hell to start. Acts like getting no fuel. Injector problem? Air leak problem? Am in the process of installing Nicktane fuel filter upgrade. Problem solved? or bring to dealer and set on fire?

·
Registered
403 Posts
If that's your first fuel filter, then that may be the problem. If not that,then come. back and tell us what dealer finds, hey, you're in warranty, aren't you??????

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just changed the fuel filter at 31,500 miles. Problem remains. Yes I am under warranty and thank GOD that the kid I went to high school with, dad, owns the dealership. So I don't think that there is going to be any questionable issues of coverage.

Does anyone know why G.M., Ford, or Dodge doesn't let there customers know about bad fuel issues. I understand that if you own a diesel, that the owner should know prior to buying one that there will be issues, but if they would suggest a aftermarket fuel filter kit or offer a upgraded system from the factory that 9 out of 10 guys would but it. I also know that the engine builders cannot control fuel cleanliness standards, But for a mere $275 for the added fuel system upgrade, I believe that a majority of diesel owners would install such a system.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now that we've established that I'm an Idiot for not changing the filter soon enough, does anyone have an Idea on what I should do?

Do I install the nicktane system first, then if the problem doesn't go away, go to the delaer and let them poke and prod?

Or do I just install the filter and hope that the damage hasn't already been done?

I just have a big problem with the dealer tearing apart a truck with only 32,500 miles on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
TommJr,

Just my two sense worth.....

DON'T install the Nicktane until the dealer figures out the problem. Once they clear that up, get your 'tane.

Good luck

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
I agree. The filter kit is not going to solve your problem. truck should run fine w/o it... i would take truck to dealer, get problem fixed FIRST, then install the nicktane kit.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Someone please tell me this, If the problem is the injectors, didn't the trouble arise because of the fact that the factory filter didn't do it's job in collecting the small particles of dirt and certain amounts of water?

Or is the problem that I'm not doing the needed maintenence at close enough intervals? If I get the problem fixed at the dealer, do you think that if I change the factory filter every 5-10 thousand miles that I will have the same problem in the future?

Also, I live in the upper midwest. PACKER country! Do you guys think that I should run fuel additives all year round? Will this cut down on water and dirt? I'm willing to try anything to keep a positive mind about GM. I've grown up driving them and will do anything to defend them. But I'm getting a little concerned.

Thanks for all the support, Every piece of info just helps me out that much more!

SEMPER FI

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've got 30,000 miles on 6.6 after purchasing on Jan. 1,2003. I started having extended crank time after heat soak. It would start up somewhat fine when cold.Took it back to dealer and they replaced fuel pressure regulator. NO FIX. Took it back again and they put in two injectors. Mechanic told me that the fuel was leaking by the "pintle" when it was not suppose to.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
962 Posts
To answer your question, if they replace your injectors and you start replacing your filters a bit more often, I would imagine you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here we are gentlemen:

The verdict ( or so called reason of hard starting).

Went to the dealer Wed. Dec. 3rd for Hard starting problem.

Called dealer at 4:00 P.M.- Truck was done.

What is wrong? They said that everything checked out.

Injector balance test- A O.K.- everything at or about 1.0

Fuel leaks in fuel lines- none ( tested with pressure test?)

Fuel rail pressure sensor - no codes

checked for visual leaks on entire system- none

somehow checked for internal fuel leak- nadda

Checked oil for water + fuel in oil- zip

finally, said they checked fuel lift pump pressure- (how they do that I have no idea) apparently the diesel engine needs somewhere around 1500 psi at fuel pump pressure to start- mine was at 850-900

as they kept cranking the engine, pressure built, when engine reached said psi, engine sarted. They said they did the test 3-4 times throughout the day so it wasn't a fluke. test came back the same all the time.

taking truck back to dealer on Monday to get high pressure fuel pump installed ( is this different than the stock one? I have no idea)

So far truck runs great, and as opposed to the starting, truck has always ran great. So maybe this duramax is clear of injector problem.

We'll see on Tuesday morning, 15 hours after supposed dealer remedy, if the cold Wisconsin winter will prove to be to much for the supposed new pump.

03' dmax juice banks monster K&N filter gauge pods

·
Registered
22 Posts
Maby the RPCV (rail pressure control valve, integrated in the high pressure pump) sticks.

The RPCV is driven electrically by the Delco ECM.

Or maybe the ECM doesn't drive this actuator right(?).

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Tom

Like DP says, Let the dealer fix it, add the tane, keep the filters changed, good additive (FPPF or PRIMROSE) an drive hell outa it. my 2 pennys

Geno

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't know how the warranty stipulation goes on dmax. I've heard everything from 36,000-100,000. I can't speak for any other dealer but mine. He told me that no matter what, he'll get me covered on any future items that come up. If he's blowing smoke, what's a guy to do. But I don't think he is.

Now as the repair situation goes, Monday is the day that this new pump is going to be installed. I'll know right away Tuesday morning if it was the remedy.

If it does the trick, and my dealer will back me up until 100,000

from that point on, everybody please keep on eye in your rear view mirror for white lightning, because I'm just cleaning out some carbon.

Thanks again for all the different ideas and opinions on a rather touchy subject.

Keep an eye for Wed. report, either it was fixed, or it wasn't.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts