Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

First post here, long time reader. Well I have to replace the brakes on my truck, and I cannot for the life of me get the wheels off. I have tried, PB Blaster, heat, framing hammer, rubber mallet, 5# sledge, 20# sledge, 6' 2x4, 10' 2x4, and NOTHING will budge these loose. I cannot drive with the lugnuts loose as the roads are slippery, and I have no brakes at all. Any other ideas would greatly be appreciated!!

Thanks, Tim

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Thats wierd all i have to do is pop the lugnuts off and the wheel pops off with no problem at all. I cant see that with all youve done how they could possibally be stuck. are you sure the wheel is entirely off the dround and no weight is on it?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am positive they are off the ground, tried all 4 same thing. Thankfully I am not stuck on the side of the road with a flat. I really have no clue what else to try without damaging or ruining the rim.

Thanks, Tim

·
Registered
269 Posts
put 1 nut back on a couple turns, then get a big prybar( we use old torsion bars at work) the try to pry the wheel off , make sure your prying off of something solid. The nut will prevent the tire from shooting out when it frees up and hurting you.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
I assume it's your rears. The PYOs will practially WELD to the center hub. I DID have it happen with a flat on the side of the road- had to limp it home on a fix-a-flat to get to more tools. Some have suggested loosening the lugs and driving the truck back and forth a few feet. I got mine loose with kroil oil around the hub and a good kick to the bottom of the tire after putting the bottle jack between the upper inside of the rim and the frame rail and cranking on some tension.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
You have to REMOVE the lug nuts!!

J/K lol

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fronts too.... Yeah if I didn't know any better I would say someone was playing a joke a welded it to the hub...:mad:

Thanks, Tim

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've had this happen on other trucks. Use your 2x stock to make a ramp with the high side(say 8 inches) on the inside of the tire and frame. And the low side(the 2x on the ground) on the out side where you're standing looking at the tire. Put a couple of NUTS on close to tight. Put some tire weight onto your new wedge. Then go NUTS on it. It should pop of with a little nudgn' and nice language. Good luck and watch your toes.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
My fronts were never a problem, the center bore of the aluminum rim fits very tight to the iron hub on the rear. Oh, I'll NEVER reinstall any of my rims without NEVERSEEZ!!

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
Use bottle jack like a steering wheel puller.

1. Get some towing/cargo straps you will never want to use again
  2. Run the straps through your holes on the wheel
  3. Place the bottle jack on your hub
  4. Tie the straps behind the bottle jack so that when you operate the jack, the straps will pull the wheel off.
  5. Operate the jack (you may need help from a buddy to keep the jack steady)
Viola! The wheel is off!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought about trying that, but the hub cover on the front wheels seem like they would damage easily. Have you tried this on the front with luck?

Thanks, Tim

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
loosen the lugs a turn or two with the truck on the ground, then shake the truck side to side real hard( get a bud to help). worked for me.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Same as Tom, I've been down this road before, and posted about it several times. I too, tried EVERYTHING. (With exception to the bottle jack/tow strap - that sounds like a good one :thumb: ) It was with PYO's and it took a substantial amount of heat with a propane torch around the hub on the aluminum. It was cold out, so that helped with the temp difference. 30 degree iron, warm aluminum. Anyway, constant motion of the torch so as not to hurt the clear on the wheels, and with a lovely sounding 'tink' they popped right off.

NEVER-SEIZE! It is your best friend. It seems to be more common in the rust-belt areas.

Good luck...

Ty

1 - 14 of 14 Posts