Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a helluva time trying to figure out why my front end tires are wearing so badly. I have the Cognito braces, Bilstien shocks, Fabtech 3" spindle lift on my '03 D/A, 2WD with 25K miles on it. Other than that everything else is stock & this truck is really "babied". Tire depth guage shows outside to inside 13/32, 11/32 & 9/32 on both sides. I have taken it to 2 different alignment shops for them to check out the front end & they find no problem except that the 2nd guy found the inner tie rods were worn & he replaced them with Moog inner tie rods but the wear continues.
My question is: how do I determine if the pitman & idler arms, tie rods, idler support bracket, ball joints etc. are worn or broken? Is it the Fabtech spindles that are the problem? What are the specs for play and how do I check each thing. Why are the tires wearing on the inside the way they are? How hard is it & what tools are needed for the Do-it-yourselfer to replace these items? I'm thinking that I should just replace everything before putting on new tires.
Anybody know of a good alignment guy who really understands how these front ends work in the Los Angeles/Ventura County area? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
I haven't checked the difference with a tread depth guage, but there is a significant difference from the inner and outer sides on my tires. I to have been to different alignment shops and there is very little wrong. I changed my Idler/Pitman, tierods with Fabtech stuff in Sept. and just had the recall to replace the Fabtech Idler/pitman with Moog. Truck has been aligned every 10,000 miles since new. Tires have always been wearing more on the outside than inside since the suspension install. The only thing I can attribute it to is how wide my tires are and how many time I turn in a day, u-turns etc.

When I look at my tires at full lock, right or left, the only part of the tire that is touching is the outter 3/4's of tire on both side. I guess thats what I get for buying 14" wide tires. JMHO

·
Registered
56 Posts
imo - your problem is the fabtech spindles... i had the same problem on my truck, finally decided to take the spindles off and installed some torsion keys and my new tires wear great. i only got 20k miles on my tires with the spindles on and had the truck aligned 3 times in that 20k. i had problems with those spindles, one was called "tire bite", at least that's what fabtech called it and they said that bad tire wear was totally normal... that's when i took them off. fabtech is a very good company i just didn't like this particular product.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Stop cornering so damn hard. JK.

How is your alignment, if you have a bad alignment (could be do to a defective Fabtech part) that will destroy tires.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Alignment

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I'm having a helluva time trying to figure out why my front end tires are wearing so badly. I have the Cognito braces, Bilstien shocks, Fabtech 3" spindle lift on my '03 D/A, 2WD with 25K miles on it. Other than that everything else is stock & this truck is really "babied". Tire depth guage shows outside to inside 13/32, 11/32 & 9/32 on both sides. I have taken it to 2 different alignment shops for them to check out the front end & they find no problem except that the 2nd guy found the inner tie rods were worn & he replaced them with Moog inner tie rods but the wear continues.
My question is: how do I determine if the pitman & idler arms, tie rods, idler support bracket, ball joints etc. are worn or broken? Is it the Fabtech spindles that are the problem? What are the specs for play and how do I check each thing. Why are the tires wearing on the inside the way they are? How hard is it & what tools are needed for the Do-it-yourselfer to replace these items? I'm thinking that I should just replace everything before putting on new tires.
Anybody know of a good alignment guy who really understands how these front ends work in the Los Angeles/Ventura County area? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :confused:
Yes, it's Accurate Alignment on Batavia Avenue in the City of Orange.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts