Diesel Place banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if this is the right place to post this or not. Posted in gasser section first. Mods, delete if warranted.

I hate driving the wife's '02 Suburban. The steering feels like it's loose. With any kind of wind I feel like I have to fight it. She doesn't seem to notice it like I do. With my truck it just stays straight.

Right now it has about 75,000 miles.

I've had the front end checked at the dealer, lubed the intermediate steering shaft, replaced shocks and also replaced the tires with Coopers.

Any ideas would be appreciated because right now I can't get rid of it.

·
Registered
633 Posts
More than likely it is the pitman (PA) and idler arms (IR). I have a 99 Burb w/80,000 miles. Mine is doing exactly the same thing that you described. My IR and PA are toast.

To check them, jack up one of the front wheels off the ground (put the jack under the lower A-arm). Keep one of the two front wheels touching the ground. Then have someone grab the wheel that is off the ground and try to turn it left and right. Watch the pitman arm and idler arm while the tire is getting turned. If the PA or IA are worn out, you could see the stud that attaches to the centerlink moving with the tire movements.

My second guess would be the tie rods. The same test above could show worn tie-rods.

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts