Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem that I am sure has been covered before, but here goes. I have an 02 2500HD. 86000 miles. Have never had a problem until now. Last weekend the temps in Minnesota were topping out around -10F. The truck had not been started for about 2 weeks. I plugged it in for around 3 hours and it started. Started hard but started. I ran it for about and hour and a half running errands ending up out at my ice shante. I turned the vehicle off and three hours later tried to start it. It would crank but not even a pop. I left it unitl the next day. Next morning I drove out and plugged the block heater into a generator for 4 hours. Same result, turned over but no fire, so I towed it to a friends cabin. Now, a little background. When I started the truck on my way to the lake I had about 1/4 tank of fuel purchased in late December. On my way I stopped and added approx 12 gallons of fresh fuel. In hind sight, the Diesel at this station was $0.10 cheaper than any other store passed on the way?????? Bad fuel??? I believe that I have a gelled fuel system. Today temps reached 5 ABOVE zero. I tried again with no results, though the truck was not plugged in. I put a battery charger on it for 5 hours and it is currently plugged in overnight. I added some fuel anti-gel to the tankand will try again tomorrow as the high is supposed to reach double digits above zero. My question is do I have a chance of getting this thing started if it is gelled without a warmed shop, in the temps I am describing? It is supposed to hit 20 by the wknd? Do my odds greatly increase or am I being overly optomistic. Last question, I have heard about filters "waxing". Does the filter need to be changed or will it just plug again? Any insight would help as it is about 30 miles from a garage and I want to exhaust all options before I pay the towing bill. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
tmak, welcome I hope that you have your truck running. Try some Power Service 911, it is made for diesels, contains no alcohol. Pour in and follow directions. Change you fuel filter as well. It might not be a bad idea to carry both a spare fuel filter and 911 with you in the winter. Good luck.

·
Registered
561 Posts
TMak I would try to pump the primer on top of your fuel filter housing and see if it feels like your moving any fuel...if it doesn't and you don't feel any resistance after 40 or so pumps then I would crack the little plastic bleeder screw next to the primer pump and see if there is any fuel coming out...I do believe you could have gelled fuel but to my knowledge most places in cold climates put additives in to keep this from happening. But if the lines are gelled a warm shop is about the only way I could imagine you could get those fuel lines cleared out. I had my truck lose its prime one day for no apparent reason on a -10 or so day, once I primed it, never had the problem again! Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
366 Posts
If you didn't put any additive in your fuel I would have to say you have gelled fuel. At the temps that you have been having in Minnesota additive is a must.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Get a salamander and point it under the truck, drape blankets, tarps, whatever around the other 3 sides so the heat can't get out. Let it blow for a couple hours.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts