Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Duramax 3500 Dually diesel and just recently it started to smoke (light blue/white)at idle and fuel mileage has gotten worse.
I started to use Lucas fuel treatment, but still to early to see any improvement.
Anyone have any ideas as to the sudden problem?
Performance seems to be the same as before with no change, only mileage
Highway truck alone was 19-21 MPG
Towing (8000lbs) was 14-16 MPG
Now Towing is 7-10 MPG

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
I would think Injectors. I would have the balance rates checked and then go from there. Also when was the last time you changed the fuel filter? Any other mods to mention?

From the staff:

Welcome to the Diesel Place.

I think you will find this site to have tons of information and knowledgeable people that will help you along the way. Please do not hesitate to ask any questions. Also, try the search feature as many have asked the questions that you need answers to. It will be your friend. Thanks for joining up, we are happy to have you and most of all, Enjoy..

Always remember we have many sections, so please read each section before posting to ensure you are placing your thread in the right location which will also ensure that you get the proper responses and that your thread will not have to be moved. This gets you answers quick and helps out the moderators here on the site.

Once again I would like to welcome you to the Diesel Place.

GMC2500HD
MOD

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was under the impression that it has a fuel rail and no injectors?
This is my first diesel truck, had 454 Gas before.
I haul boats to 36' and have been very happy with the mileage and performance up till now, hauling 8000 lbs I was getting 16 MPG
Now I get 7 MPG and kill every mosquito around me.
Did not know about warranty on injectors.
It has 70,000 miles and has never had anything done to it other than oil and all filters.
PS thanx for the welcome
Bob

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Yep has all 8 injectors. This is fairly common, they should replace them free of charge, the $100 deductable does not count towards injectors so dont let them try to charge you that. Welcome to the DP.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Welcome to the DP. From what you've said im almost 100% you injectors are the problem. but like everyone else said, their underwarrantee till 200k so your fine

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx for all the info guys, I guess it is a trip to the dealers to see what the problem is.
I guess you learn something new everyday.
Also there will be allot of happy mosquito's out there!!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Engine is warranted for 5 years 100k miles. The injectors are warrantied for 200k miles, not sure on how many years.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well a trip to the dealers proved to be a lovely experience.
I told them that I was getting excessive smoking and only getting 5.5 mile per gallon.
They said we will change the fuel filter and the engine oil and see if that clears it up.
I told them that 15 people have told me it was the injectors, but they insisted that this may cure the problem if they did all the above.
Well 2 days later they told me that they were going to have to order injectors for it.
I need the truck for a delivery to No. Carolina on Sunday but they can't get the injectors until Monday and it will take a whole day to install them which will bring us until Tuesday if everything goes a planned.
I am afraid that I will be in for a large bill because of the diagnostic procedure and it was the injectors all along.
Was I snuffed or what??
Now I have to rent a truck to make this delivery.
I am PI$$**!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
They should not charge you anything for the diagnostics, I hope they didn't charge you anything for the oil change and fuel filter now that it was the injectors. It must not be a very experienced dealer with diesel engines. I took mine in and told them the injectors are bad, the guy said ok, hooked up a tech 2 scanned stuff and said ok pick it up tommorow. If they do try to charge you for the diagnostic tell them to shove it.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
review the TSB, contact GM customer service to check on loaner. bring up your recommendations to service writer and complain about poor service. don't pay for work not required.
fill out veh. info on bottom of page so we know what you have.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ok, so I understand correctly, the dealer having done all 8 injector swap on my 04', should I have had to pay the $100? And on top of that they took 2 1/2 weeks to finish, now when i got it back, it smokes on start up just like it did just before I had the injector sleeves replaced and you can smell the antifreeze. As you can tell, I am nun-to-happy.:mad:

Jason

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well today I went to the dealers and the injectors showed up today and the mechanic was on another job and he has to finish that job before he can start on mine.
Tomorrow will be a week that it is there and I have to leave for Fla. to haul another boat and pick up another in So. Carolina, and I have no vehicle.
I had to rent a truck last week to make a delivery.
Now it looks like I may have to rent another one to make this trip.
I called GM cust service and they called the dealership and talked to the service mgr and he said it wiold be done sometime on Friday if there is no problems.
What ever the hell that means???????
I am very disgusted with this whole thing.
Why should I have to rent a vehicle to do the job of the vehicle I have and make payments on.
Any other suggestions???????
And what if I leave with the truck and it fails on the way to Fla. who will repair it and tow it and who will get my shippment to Fla???
Help !!!!
Bob

·
Registered
834 Posts
how do yo guys get hold of the GM customer service people? Is there a number you can provide for me or some info to get hold of them?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Engine is warranted for 5 years 100k miles. The injectors are warrantied for 200k miles, not sure on how many years.
200k miles/7 Years on '01 & '02 Injectors.

Well today I went to the dealers and the injectors showed up today and the mechanic was on another job and he has to finish that job before he can start on mine.
Tomorrow will be a week that it is there and I have to leave for Fla. to haul another boat and pick up another in So. Carolina, and I have no vehicle.
I had to rent a truck last week to make a delivery.
Now it looks like I may have to rent another one to make this trip.
I called GM cust service and they called the dealership and talked to the service mgr and he said it wiold be done sometime on Friday if there is no problems.
What ever the hell that means???????
I am very disgusted with this whole thing.
Why should I have to rent a vehicle to do the job of the vehicle I have and make payments on.
Any other suggestions???????
And what if I leave with the truck and it fails on the way to Fla. who will repair it and tow it and who will get my shippment to Fla???
Help !!!!
Bob
Sorry to hear about your bad dealer experience.

It may be time to look for a different dealer.

how do yo guys get hold of the GM customer service people? Is there a number you can provide for me or some info to get hold of them?

Thanks in advance...
It's in your owner's manual....

I'd post it for you, but I'm at work and don't have my truck with me.

Gary

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, got the truck back today (after 8 days) and it is just like when I bought it when new.
Runs exellent.
Tomorrow will be the test, have to haul a 33' Fountain Lightning go fast boat to North Jersey about 125 miles so we will see if it performs ok.
Everyone at the dealership was very nice since "The General" called there, funny what a phone call will do!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts