Diesel Place banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to add another alternator to my LB7. I'm not a diesel expert by any means, but was looking under the hood the other day and noticed that a 2nd alternator looks like it fits in there perfectly. Couple of Q's though.

1. Does anyone know the stock LB7 altn. output? 130amps? 105?
2. I have done some reading on here and it sounds like just wiring in another alternator isnt the answer because of the primary altern. is still taking most of the load. So how should I wire it in so that the load is dispersed evenly across the alternators?

Anyone have thoughts?

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
I'll move this to the proper forum area: Electrical

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I thought that I did put it in electrical. My apologies.

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
Sorry I thought that I did put it in electrical. My apologies.
No sweat man!! I just put it here so you'd get more views and hopefully an answer. If memory serves me this came up ALOT a few years ago, you could try a search for 'dual alternator' or conversion and see if something helps.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
The output amps is engraved on top of alternator. Check the RPO codes in glove box.
K68 - 105A
KG8 - 130A
8X5 - Dual 105A

As far as wiring, from the factory, the output of each alternator is controlled independantly by the ECM. One supposedly carries most of the load under low loads.
Below is a link and some here are connecting both alternators to the same ECM wire with the attempt that the alternators always share the loaded.
Search dual alternator.
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222068&highlight=dual+alternator+schematic

Here's a DIY install:
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=677

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
modified, thank you very much for this. I stumbled across the alternator schematic and post, but havent looked for the DIY.

Thank you and sorry for making this a stupid re-post. My bad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.