Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well first off this is my first post here. So I hope you guys dont mind the stupid to you newbie questions I am about to ask. Please forgive.

A breif history. I am 28 years old and have been huge into trucks since I was young. Been around diesels for most of them. Dad started out with a 93 Ex cab Cummins. Great engine, everything else was ok
. Been a Ford man all of my life so most my knowledge sits with them.

Now on to the good stuff ( I hope). I have to buy me a new truck for me to use with my company. I own a flooring and furniture store. On occasion i have to make some 280 mi or so runs with a 27' enclosed trailer loaded with carpet, were talking 10-12,000 Lbs at times. The problem is money is tight. I wanted the Ford Crew cab(mostly for the cab) but they are a bit out of my price range. I have came across a 02 Quad cab automatic cummins 2500. It is in the right range. Not being as familiur with the Dodge, I have some questions.

#1. What can I do to the truck to take it to another level? I want to basically have just a bit more than my Dads new 6.0 F350. I know Banks stuff, but I also know there are some better options out there.

#1a. I know most are going to say chip and exaust. What is the quiestest aftermarket exaust that still performs well? I DO NOT want a truck that sounds like a big rig as I will be taking the truck hunting.

#2. A problem my dad had with his Dodge was the tranny would get very very hot. Is that still a problem in the 02's? If so what can be done to fix it? Also is there tranny comanders or jake brakes available for reasonable costs?

#3. Not only do I like a truck to perform well but it has to look good. I would like to lift the truck to run either 35" or 37" tires. What lift do you recomend and to what height? What tires have shown to wear good in these sizes under the weight of the mighty Cummins motor?

#4. Any other suggestions to look into to prevent other chronic problems with these trucks I may not be aware of?

#5. Like I said the truck is an 02 quad cab auto 4x4 with about 40K on it. Immaculate condition. Loaded with everything but leather, is a shortbox. I can get the truck for $24,300. Is this a good deal?

Thank you for all of your time and consideration into my questions. Hopefully I can return the favor someday.

·
Registered
73 Posts
#1.Edge EZ 60-65HP About $500 and Bosch 275rv injectors 45HP? $350 Or and Edge Comp Box 120HP $600 In my opinion you are better off with the first combo, safer for towing and no injection pump wire piercing.

#1a. With Edge EZ and Bosch 275's you could probably keep the stock exhaust while still keeping egt's in check while towing.

#2.Most of my experience is with 6-speeds so I'm limited here. You could get a larger tranny pan to hold more fluid. Exhaust brakes are from $800-$1000.Tranny commanders are available, but not sure on cost. From what I have read towing heavy with the EZ is ok with a stock tranny, but with the injectors you are pushing it. Personaly I would look into tranny upgrades for whatever power level you choose just for my own piece of mind, there are alot of good options out there to make it a very reliable tranny.

#3.I have a 2" lift on my truck and it should clear 315's ok, possibly slight rub on the lower control arms under full steering lock. I currently have BFG 295 AT's on my truck, which are wearing well, with no rub.

#4.Lift pumps. I went through more than my share on my truck. I'm currently running a FASS system which I am confident in. $600

#5.Sounds good. Remember you've got 5/100,000 on the motor and another 12,000 on the rest of the truck. So if you get use the time left to get the bugs out. Good luck.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sounds like a good deal, I would prabably stick with 35's, I have 37's on mine and they don't wear too good, at least with 35's you have a lot more choices. I am running Super Swamper SSR's, from the way it looks I'll only be getting 20-25K miles on [email protected]#& Also with 35's you can go with a much milder lift, it should make things alot easier when towing, especially 10-12K. I would also look into upgrading the torque convertor and valve body, I am slipping my torque convertor already with just a Van Aaken box, don't forget gauges. Good luck, hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts