Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for some advice on buying this truck for 10,500(cad).it has 405,000km and it smokes white when idling. the motor has plenty of power (breaks tires loose when pedal to the metal shifting into 2nd and 3rd feels as fast as a 4.6 mustang). it has some mods k/n cone filter open air, no cat and i think it has a chip (has a bd performance sticker and and a couple of black boxes(hanging unmounted) with alot of wires coming out of it beside the 6.6 cover).can someone tell me how i would know if it has computer mods? i hear a lttle noise out of the k/n cone filter noise kind of sounds like the exhaust note. the tranny shifts kind of hard (might have a tranny kit) but doesnt slip and feels solid. front end needs work pitman arm,idlerarm, inner tie rods, all ball joints roters pads and stearing stabilizer which i can do myself. i didnt smell any fuel in the oil but the oil pressure sits right between 0-275 kpa(1/4) when warm and idling and 300 kpa while cruising, when i started it cold it was at 350 kpa and 500 kpa when i revved it up. in canada a 01 usually goes for $20k with 200k kms. looking for any input on how long this motor will hold up (lots of power) or is white smoke while idling a bad sign. i want to buy this truck mainly because of how fast it is, i drove a 03 d/a and it didnt seem half as fast. thanks for any advice

·
LT. Dan
6,817 Posts
white smoke is the injectors, they will most likely have to be replaced. as far as the chip, where are these black boxes located? can you take a picture of them and the wires?

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
IF you look around you can pick up a low mileage motor for a couple grand.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
these boxes are located just off to the drivers side from the middle of the motor one says delphi and is mounted the other two are dangling and all three are connected. any idea of what life i can expect on this motor, like i said before tons of power. i can replace moter if neccesary.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
250,000 miles thanks TOTHEMAX!
hey max power any idea on where to start looking for a motor for about 3,000 in canada, i seen a couple in the bargain finder for 4-5000 with 80,000 kms thanks for the input

·
Registered
330 Posts
Was it used on the oil-fields or is this a city truck? Those oil-field guys can really beat the crap outta a truck (was looking at a couple of Fords a while back that were fairly new and in bad shape).

Oil pressure sounds lower than mine. Mine is almost pegged cold and never goes much under 1/2 when warm. But without a real gauge, it's hard to tell from the dash gauge what the real pressure is.

I think BD Power was selling re-branded Edge boxes a few years ago. But I'm not sure about that. They sell Edge stuff now.

Oh, and it never came with a cat (except some California models).

There is a DMAX for sale in the BC Buy & Sell for $3,500.

B&S Ad

2006 DURAMAX 6.6L. complete except for computer. 40,000kms. $3,500.00. obo. aldergrove. Tel: 604-835-4286
(Aldergrove is just outside of the Vancouver area, by Langley)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
thanks for the info, it is a bc(i think creston) truck came from the morman church guys you read about in the paper travelled to salt lake city all the time. i think it was towing a bit, truck has a brake controller.is a 06 motor a easy install into a 01 and would the cpu out of 01 work for this motor thanks. truck still needs out of province inspection

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh yeah just got a vin check nothing about injectors may have been replaced after warranty was up. if it is still the original injectors that would be alot of mileage. by the way my current truck still runs greater than ever but think it is time for a update as it is just a matter of time before something major goes on my 6.5

1 - 9 of 9 Posts