Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,

I've read of a lot of start problems on this sight. Here's my saga for your possible insight. About two months ago I started having the infamous "engine cranks for 10-15 seconds then dies routine". Yes, after pumping the fuel filter primer it starts up fine (albeit a hard-long start). I finally took it in, they replaced the filter (recall) and said good to go. After a few days of everything ok, the problem returned. On the second trip to the dealer the tech said it's probably the fuel filter housing cracked allowing air in (he'd seen this before). They called the next day saying they replaced the fuel filter housing, FPRV, and flashed the computer for excessive surging. Good to go.

Although the truck didn't die on start (for about a week), each time it did start it would get to the same point (10-15 seconds) during it's warm up and I'd hear loud valve clattering, almost bogging down, before it would continue it's warm up. Within a week it again started to die. Never had any excessive smoke on start, never died during driving. Filters/fluids always changed on time, only have 38K mileage. Any thoughts before I take it back to the dealer? Love this truck!!

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Have they (I gotta assume they did) check the balance rates and for a high fuel return rate?

Still original injectors?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I urged them to do so on the last visit, but I honestly can't say they did. I'm begining to believe they were so convinced they had identified the problem that they did not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, origional injectors. I'm trying to get my game plan together for the next visit to the dealer. Although they seem to be honestly concerned and trying to fix the problem, I'm going to insist on balance rates, etc.., with a written copy for myself.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I think your on the right track now.If they see a high fuel return rate you should have all 8 injectors replaced under warranty.

I'm willing to bet that they haven't checked

1 - 5 of 5 Posts