Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a 01 2500HD that needs a new radiator, shopping around i've found some with 3/8 transmission fittings and 5/8 fittings which one do i need? thanks

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
I don't know that model specifically but these days it seems like if there is an option for something like that they come with the adapters. One size kinda fits all sort of thing.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Be careful when ordering. When I needed a new one, I was sent the wrong one. I don't remember the place but they showed two different sizes(thickness & rows. The cab & chassis gets the bigger one and the 2500hd gets the smaller. Definitely a big difference in sizes.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The 01 has different sized and style of quick disconnects for the oil and trans coolers. GM made a change in 03. They usually come with both styles of adapters in the box, but sometimes the adapter is hiding in the packing foam. Spectra makes the radiator for Tyco and AC Delco, so any of those 3 is the same.
Don't worry about it being thinner than the original 2.5" to 3" thick one, GM redesigned the radiator to be thinner, with better coolant and air flow through it, so it cools just as well, if not better, than the old fatty. I've been running it here in the desert southwest for 2 years at 115-118* ambient for months at a time in the summer with no issues. A/C is another story in those heats, which is why I vented my hood for more CFM through the cooling stack and better heat removal from under the hood.

They have 2 different syles of radiators for the 2500/2500HD/3500 vehicles. 1 for the 4l80E and 1 for the Allison. In 01 you could get the Duramax with the 4l80, but almost none were made as everyone ordered the Allison version. It wasn't even an option in 02 due to lack of sales. The HD vans did get the Duramax with the 4l80.
Basically there are 6 radiators that cover the 8.1L in the above vehicles. 01-02 with Allison, 01-02 with 4l80e(truck, or suburban/yukon/avalanche), 01-02 van with 4l80e, 03-07 with Allison, 03-07 with 4l80e(suburban/yukon/avalanche), and 03-07 4l80e van.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts