Diesel Place banner

00 is back on the road.

4K views 64 replies 12 participants last post by  gmctd 
#1 ·
I really appreciate all the help you guys have given me over these last few months, dunno what i'd do without it sometimes.

Special thanks to Chicago for his massive Holset and DP combination, i know he spent some time on building the DP.

The engine is in, put about 40 km's on it so far. The engine was run on a test bench before i got it so i trashed the oil filter right away, new oil cooler on also. After 10 minutes of running in the shop the second oil filter went south also. I will probably put about 200 km's on it and change the oil and filter again. Rod to the wastegate is backed right off, its loose when not running, i'm taking it easy on it but even on the hiway just giving it a little bump on the throttle boost hit 12 PSI, 60 MPH/2000 rpm seemed to have about 3 lbs of boost. I haven't set timing or TDCO yet either, its running good and is once again has an extremely loud engine rattle! While the engine was running i had the glows on the timer set for 20 or 30 seconds i think and then they do their on/off thingy for a minute or so. You should have seen the look on the mechanics face when the glows kicked out and the rattle increased 5 fold, i think he was ready to run and shut off the key. Cold the oil pressure pegged the end of the scale, 550 Kpa i think, warmed up was 275-300 or so (new hi output oil pump). I have a ton of under the hood tweaking to do such as air filter mounting, CDR, routing hoses, electical etc and also get the exhaust back together, kinda noisy with just the DP on it. Hopefully the lift kit will be in on monday or tues and i can get that done also. Anyways, input, suggestions or recommendations are always welcome.

Dyno? Yeah but not until this ones got at least 10K on it!:D

See less See more
#4 ·
GOOD JOB BRO!!!!! Keep it rattlin', need to see you come down here to Chi-Town this summer.

How is the whistle on that turbo? can u hear it? it has the silencer ring removed for extra noisy whistle.

#5 ·
Damn man, don't you ever go to bed? lol

Hard to hear the whistle with just the DP on it, but its there once it hits about 5 PSI.

#7 ·
Damn man, don't you ever go to bed? lol

Hard to hear the whistle with just the DP on it, but its there once it hits about 5 PSI.
Yea, I have a sleeping problem, really I do. My nights are long and my mornings come early. It sucks.

YOU ARE GONNA LOVE THE WHISTLE!!!!!!!!!! How far off is the exhaust?

#8 ·
I think i need to make up at least 10" to get to my 4", dunno what i'll have to do. We stretched the old DP to 3.5" and added a 3.5"x4" swage on the old system. If that DP you supplied was any longer i don't know if it would have fit without removing the exhaust manifold anyways.

#9 ·
Nice...glad you got it running. :ro)

#10 ·
Russel
I'm sure I'm going to have to take a trip back to your neck of the woods to have a peek at this beast. Congrats. I'm off to Wainwright for a week....gotta do the Canadian Soldier thing. I'm the Maint Sgt in charge of keeping the Leopard tanks running, hey how about a 34liter 830hp V10 diesel?? actually my little Toyota Diesel makes more Hp per liter than this monster. If you make it up this way I can definately give a tour of the shop and might be able to swing a drive in it. If you think a 6.5 is loud with no exhaust you got to hear/feel a tank engine being run up on the floor with no exhaust, it has no turbo's to kill the exhaust, but it is supercharged.Trust me you feel every cyl fire.
The wife drove the truck today for the first time and her only complaint was it was too high, towards the end of the drive she was warming up to the height as it gave her a better view of the road,other than that she did OK. and my sons(3.5yrs old) response was "I like this monster truck" He is definately my son!
Well I leave tomorrow morning and will be having withdraws from not being able to check my fav site. Take care all

#11 ·
Thanks Nick, that 95 should drive smoother than your stock truck, at least thats what i found with the lifted units. When you get back give me a buzz, love to drop by or have you come by the check it out. Then you can tell everyone how friggen loud the diesel rattle in this thing is... lol, i wasn't talking just exhaust.

#12 ·
Hey CR! Great to hear the 00's back again tearing up the S. Alberta roads:ro)

#13 ·
OK guys now i would like a little help once again with the timing on this thing. After a few miles on it i decided to do the time set command, both Act/Des went to 0, smoked like crazy and ran pretty rough, ECT @ 180F+, TDCO was still -1.76 as i never changed it and suspect it would have died if i did.

I moved the pump a good 3mm to the drivers side, warmed it up again and did the time set again, now i'm getting +/- 3.5 ACT and 0 Des, so i commanded the TDCO and it went to +2.02, runs fairly rough and smoking.

So my question is do i have timing in the ball park now and only need to move the pump more to the drivers (2mm?) and then command only TDCO, NOT time set again also? ESO is pretty much straight up, maybe slightly to drivers, another 2mm and for sure it will be tilted to the drivers. Help please?

#14 ·
I'm not the expert on this, but I just did mine. Sounds like you need to go towards driver's side as you say.

#15 ·
Command TIME SET, wait about 30 seconds, then exit.

Go back to engine parameters, note displayed Des\Act values - should equal, and be around +3.5deg to meet oem spec.

If so, command TDCO LEARN, engine may stumble for a bit, note TDCO value - exit when it reads -0.5deg.

Go back to engine parameters, Des\Act should be +3.5deg, Idle rpm shold be 675-690, Fuel Rate should be 8-9mm,TDCO should be -0.5deg.

Timing may fluctuate above and below, but should average +3.5deg

#16 ·
Display just always goes to around 12 when out of time set, the only time i see it bounce from 3.2 to 3.5 is when time set is selected? Once out of time set and into TDCO it was 1.94 the first time and 2.02 the second time commanded.

Fuel rate was about 4-5mm but that may not be accurate with the flash for the 5068 pump.

#17 ·
Glad its back up and running CR :ro)

Got a warranty on that thing? ):h

#18 ·
You may need some input from Wester to get that system set up - the 3.5deg TIME SET is correct, and the -1.94 may also be correct for the 5068 tweak-up.

I would expect so see +8.5deg Des\Act Base Timing for that -1.94deg TDCO.

I have a bare 5068 camring, but have not learned much from it - only that the ramps ARE more agressive than the 5288\standard camring

#19 ·
westers told me before as long as TDCO was within that -0.5 to -2.0 window IIRC all would be fine, i'm just having trouble figuring out if i should move it again or not, it runs pretty rough at temp and stumbles on throttle stab too, timing may have averaged closer to 3.0 though. Your help is appreciated GMCTD. What should i do?

#20 ·
Back IP off to the passenger-side by 1mm, do TIME SET, exit, note Des\Act, and TDCO in engine parameter display screen.

You'll need to let it idle for a bit after exiting TIME SET, depending on how long it takes to come out of cold advance\fast idle, which will indicate +12deg or so and dropping

If it is around +8.5deg Base Time, do TDCO LEARN, look for about -1.5deg, exit, recheck engine parameter screen.

Note : the 5068 may also have the 'bump', as the low idle Fuel Rate seems to indicate, thus may result in increased calculated TDCO value for any given Base Timing value.

#21 ·
With ECT at 170+ i got time set again at 3.5 (bounces 3.2 - 3.7), TDCO command went to +2.2, runs worse. Didn't move the pump, just tried at a different temp.

#22 ·
The warmer it gets the lower my TDCO will go on each command, down to +2.11 now..... yeah i'm sitting in my truck...lol

#23 ·
That TDCO value would normally indicate the IP position is too advanced.

Do not make any adjustment unless ECT is over 175deg F, preferably 185-190deg, where engine is completely out of cold advance.

Don't know what your ambient is, but ECT will cool down fairly rapidly in cold weather.

#24 ·
Normally i don't do it until its above 185F, was just trying it to see what it would do. Ambient here is about -15C. So with a TDCO of + 2.2 you say to move the pump to the passenger side then. correct? I though drivers side would go negative? This timing is so confusing.

On edit it did run fine with the ACT set at 3.5 with the previous engine TDCO set at -1.8x, it was only after commanding TDCO and going to +2.2 it started to run like crap.

#25 ·
Those are conflicting numbers, CR - +12deg Timing, +2.5deg TDCO.

I was assuming the Timing to be correct, and the TDCO to be a REAL negative value, needing to be numerically reduced, becoming less negative.

You are correct - rotating the IP toward driver's-side would normally make the TDCO number larger, more negative.

Also increases Base Timing number, more positive.

Tech-II functions normally in that manner - the other scanners need to be compared to the Tech to get an idea of their idiosyncrasies.

Try moving the IP till FSO is vertical, do TIME SET, then TDCO LEARN, post the specific resulted values.

Again, I'm assuming the Wester's 5068, with it's PCM program, will be 'normally' timed at that position - within +3.5deg and -0.5 TDCO

NOTE - PCM will not accept TS and TDCOL commands if any DTC exists in memory.

#26 ·
When timing I put plastic over the grill when it's cold outside. Turn the heater off. I am quite sure the 5068 pump does not have the "bump" from Westers. Moving the pump toward the drivers side will advance timing and go toward the "-" value.

#27 ·
What about the currently indicated +12deg Des\Act, DP - is the IP already excessively advanced?

Or, do we assume that it is retarded, at TDC, and the +2.5deg TDCO is correct?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.