Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I printed out Eric's directions for changing the fuel filter on my Duramax. It looks like my truck is configured just a little different though (the space is a little tighter?). When Eric says to move the air conditioning line 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch to be able to get at the filter, it doesn't look like it'll be enough for my truck! Dad and Mr. Mik were worried that they might damage or break something so we didn't replace it today. There HAS to be an easier way of replacing this filter in my truck, right?

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? THANKS!

Julie Mik Edited by: Mrs. Mik

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
You can take the fender liner out. Just a few clips and it comes right out. Gives you lots of access. However, I removed the fender line to install my pyro sensor and I changed my fuel filter the way you described and I can tell you, from the top is a lot less work.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
With practice and a little dab of dielectric grease on the push pins, the liner will come out quite easily allowing for easy draining, and access. I don't even use a wrench on my own, rather hand tighten the filters after adding a thin smear of dielectric to the orings...

·
Registered
430 Posts
Julie...it will work on the '03 without removing the liner. I did mine a few weekends ago. Like you, I thought there was no way the filter would come out the top, but it will. As mentioned, the AC line needs to be moved a bit, but it moves easy with a short piece of 1x2. I was pretty nervous about moving the AC line, but in the end it was very simple. I used the new filter as a guide while bending the AC line. After moving the AC line around 3/4", the new filter dropped right in. IMHO, much easier that removing the liner.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I did it through the wheel well liner a few times, but this last time I took the battery out. I was astonished at how much easier that is. It's simple to remove and you get to do the whole job standing up, without reaching through a dirty wheelwell.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
I took the battery out when I did mine. Piece of cake. My 03 looked pretty tight as well. I didn't feel comfortable moving the AC line.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I pull up a stool, drop the fender liner and do it the easy way.

TC

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Removing the battery...does that drop your memory(radio ext.)?

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Just the clock. Remember you have 2 batteries. You have to be carefull not to short the positive cable to ground. If you don't disconnect the other batter you won't lose anything but you would have to be EXTREAMELY carefull!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Julie,

I've replaced my fuel filter (3) times now. I've taken it out through the top each time and have never had to move a line. It'll come through there with a little finesse. Once mine is unscrewed and loose in my hand, it takes me about 15 seconds to work it up and out.

Good luck

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
you can also loosen the turbo line, that will accomplish the same thing. It just requires more tools and has to be redone everytime. The a/c line gets moved once. Remember, these instructions were written by somebody who has to make a livin. It is easier replace it with the fender liner out...but you have to get it out first, By the time the liner gets dropped out, I am priming.....

·
Registered
242 Posts
I agree with an earlier post that some lines don't have to be moved. I ordered all the stuff from Eric for my truck and my neighbors. I had to bend the AC line on mine. On the neighbors, I could have brought another half filter through at the same time. Much easier from the top. Total time was 20 minutes first time I ever did it, and much faster now. Thanks for the tips Eric.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
one difference may have been the years? late 02 and 03 are like what is shown in my how too. early 02 and 01 are wide open, you could fit a mega filter in that space!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Eric, will the same directions work with an 2004 longbed 2500?

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Soooo what are GM's instructions foe replacing the 2003 fuel filter? Bend the A/C line?

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
hoot said:
Soooo what are GM's instructions foe replacing the 2003 fuel filter? Bend the A/C line?
last I checked it was disconnect connectors,drain bowl. loosen and remove.. kind of left it up to you on how to remove. You gotta relize the guy writting the book gets paid to do so, not work on it, and he has likely ever seen what he is writting.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, everyone! I appreciate all the responses. I'm particularly interested in a response to Hoot's post. What DO GM tech's do to change the filter?

Because we didn't want to take a chance on causing a problem, we didn't change the fuel filter. I'll be going for an oil change soon, and will ask them to change the fuel filter (having them use the one that I purchased through Eric) and plan to tell them that I want to watch and see what they do because we need to be able to do this as we travel and if we have problems, we need to be able to make the change on the road. We'll see what they say . . . I'm sure I'll get the usual "customers aren't covered by insurance, etc.," so I'll prepare some kind of release before I go and hopefully that will shut them up. We'll see . . . any other thoughts on being able to watch them?

Julie

·
Registered
490 Posts
Julie, who is the "they" that you are going to have change the filter? I hope to God it is not a Jiffy Lube or some other quick oil change place. They are guaranteed to screw it up. Probably a 99.9999% chance they never did one either. Do it yourself or take it to a GM dealer.Edited by: Pick

·
Registered
958 Posts
I had a certified GM technician change my fuel filter for me at 10k miles, he took it out through the top quite easily. Maybe some trucks are more congested there than others, but it seemed to come out fine.. Mind you he's had lots of practice.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts