Diesel Place banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here’s a good one…..we took a lightening strike near the house the other day that knocked out power, took out the power company transformer fuse which wasn’t that big a deal. But….when I went to drive the truck later that day all gauges were inoperative, the DIC indicated malfunction on all sensor systems (trailer brake, airbag, TPS, airbags, etc), radio not working, AC compressor not coming on but fan running. The truck starts, runs and lights work.
I disconnected both batteries for a while, reconnected, everything working for a minute then everything above shutdown again. One time I shut truck down the blower was still running. Had to disconnect batteries to turn it off. Battery disconnect doesn’t always bring gauges back. Alternator is charging and batteries at 12.7 volts full charge.
I’m stumped. Can’t imagine lightening had anything to do with it but who knows. Is this an ECM problem?
Suggestions for troubleshooting.

Thanks,
Bruce

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm starting to suspect the ignition switch but would be great to get some consensus from some of you with real experience similar to what I'm seeing. I had all gauges, sensors and accessories working last night when I reconnected the batteries then started it up this morning to go to work and all is failing again. Here's a list of whats not working:

All gauges, radio, AC compressor (blower runs), windows, door locks, turn signals, all sensors (ABS, remote start, TPS, trailer brake controller, rear proximity sensors. Mileage is not incrementing and all DIC functions do not function.

The truck runs fine, no error codes and headlights, tail lights, brake lights and wipers all function.

Would faulty ignition switch explain all of this?

·
Administrator
19,363 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace

I would start with individually load testing each battery.
Bad battery cell(s) can cause a lot of electrical gremlins

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to DieselPlace

I would start with individually load testing each battery.
Bad battery cell(s) can cause a lot of electrical gremlins
Any recommendations on how best to do that? What about running on just one battery, then shutting down and switching over to the other one for a quick check.

·
Administrator
19,363 Posts
Any recommendations on how best to do that? What about running on just one battery, then shutting down and switching over to the other one for a quick check.
Take your batteries down to your local auto parts store and ask the staff to individually load test them.
If one or both fail the test replace them both as a matched set

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update 10 days later........
Batteries are good.
Day one after initial fail, still not working
Day 2 AM not working then PM intermittently would be working then fail
Day 3 - 8 working normally
Day 9 not working again. Had a hard rain overnight so its definitely moisture related
Day 10 (today) working normally

When I say fail, it just as described in my first message. I have a new ignition switch I will change out over this weekend but don't think that it.
Maybe ground strap on firewall? I also thought about removing engine compartment fuse block assembly and cleaning the terminals/contacts inside.

Any other ideas?

·
Administrator
19,363 Posts
Update 10 days later........
Batteries are good.
Day one after initial fail, still not working
Day 2 AM not working then PM intermittently would be working then fail
Day 3 - 8 working normally
Day 9 not working again. Had a hard rain overnight so its definitely moisture related
Day 10 (today) working normally

When I say fail, it just as described in my first message. I have a new ignition switch I will change out over this weekend but don't think that it.
Maybe ground strap on firewall? I also thought about removing engine compartment fuse block assembly and cleaning the terminals/contacts inside.

Any other ideas?
Check grounds.
Inspect your engine harness for any loose connection, rodent damage, worn wire insulation, bent connection pins, etc

1 - 7 of 7 Posts