Diesel Place banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2001 GMC Sierra 2500 SLE 4X4
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an ‘01 Duramax and it has been running ever so slightly higher in temperature, hardly perceptibly, but when I drove over the mountain pass it spiked. The rest of the the trip across the flatlands it seemed to be back down in the acceptable range. I had a problem of it running too cold a few years back and had the thermostat replaced. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions

· Administrator
26,950 Posts
I would start by cleaning your cooling stack
(y)

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would start by cleaning your cooling stack
(y)
Thanks for moving the post to the right place. I’m far from home and don’t really know how to do that. Looked it up on YouTube and it looks like the radiator has to be removed to do that. I’m going to check with a shop nearby that did some work for me a few years back. I’ve had the truck since’06 and it’s never been cleaned. I do have one of those grill covers because I run vegi oil and the coolant runs through the tank and ever since I had that system it wouldn’t reach high enough temperature without it

· Administrator
26,950 Posts
Thanks for moving the post to the right place. I’m far from home and don’t really know how to do that. Looked it up on YouTube and it looks like the radiator has to be removed to do that. I’m going to check with a shop nearby that did some work for me a few years back. I’ve had the truck since’06 and it’s never been cleaned. I do have one of those grill covers because I run vegi oil and the coolant runs through the tank and ever since I had that system it wouldn’t reach high enough temperature without it
The proper way to clean the cooling stack is to completely remove everything and powerwash.
This video explains it well

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The proper way to clean the cooling stack is to completely remove everything and powerwash.
This video explains it well
Thanks, that’s the video I watched. I’m away from home and don’t have a garage, tools, and a power washer. I guess I’ll have to ask a shop to look at it. It sucks to be in a place where I don’t have a mechanic I know and there’s hardly any diesel mechanics near where I’m at

· Administrator
26,950 Posts
Thanks, that’s the video I watched. I’m away from home and don’t have a garage, tools, and a power washer. I guess I’ll have to ask a shop to look at it. It sucks to be in a place where I don’t have a mechanic I know and there’s hardly any diesel mechanics near where I’m at
If you're only having a slight problem with temps then you can just take it easy on the rest of the trip until you make it home.
Then you can do the cleaning the right way and save some money
(y)

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you're only having a slight problem with temps then you can just take it easy on the rest of the trip until you make it home.
Then you can do the cleaning the right way and save some money
(y)
Yeah, except that I have to go over that pass to get home. I forgot to mention that it did start to get hot if I went over 70 mph on the highway. I did consider driving it and then using AAA to tow me over the pass to a mechanic I know. I’m not a do it yourself mechanic anyway and don’t have a place to work on it at home. I live in a condo complex and they don’t allow anyone to work on their vehicles there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts