Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

1985 Chevrolet K-5 6.2L Diesel

IamDave0887’s Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums Garage
1985 Chevrolet K-5 6.2L Diesel
'85 K-5 Blazer - Cora - a.k.a. "The Rust Bucket"

Engine:
  • 6.2 Liter Detroit Diesel 660 block GoodWrench Crate engine.
  • Semi - C code. J-code non-EGR single plane intake(off a N/A 6.5), Well Beyond J-code IP.
  • Custom lifter tick. (found a busted lifter retainer)
  • Bosch Duraterm Glowplugs(Part # 80034)
  • T04B Garrett/Banks turbo.(Replaced with new Jan/Feb 2013)
  • 82 Cast rocker arms
Fuel & Tuning:
  • Accurate Diesel tested/calibrated DB2 - installed May 2011
  • New Bosch 6.2 long injectors installed 1/13/2010.
  • Holley Blue fuel pump and regulator. 9-11 psi at IP regardless of throttle position.
Exhaust:
  • Rusty Duals with some form of Magnaflow Mufflers
  • 3" single straight thru to 3.5" 6.0 PSD tailpipe.
  • Want an AeroTurbine muffler at some point.
Transmission/Drivetrain:
  • Originally came with a 700R4. Don't need a slushbox. Swapped to a SM465.
  • Solid Flywheel.
  • Hydraulic clutch linkage
  • Blown Autozone throwout bearing at 8,000 miles. JUNK!!
  • Rhino-Pac clutch
  • NP-208HD Transfer Case(32 spline in/out)
  • 12 bolt rear/10 bolt front
  • 3.08 gears
  • SuperWinch manual locking hubs
  • ORD Steering Box brace
  • ORD 3/8" thick front shackles with greaseable poly bushings.
Interior:
  • Factory torn seats with seat covers(have mint complete red cloth seats in garage)
  • Dashboard out of an 88 K-5
  • Herculined floors(looks awesome)
  • Isspro EV series 0-15 psi boost gauge, and 0-1500*F color coded pyrometer.
  • Autometer Tach.
  • working A/C system charged with R-12.
  • Home built On-Board air system for air horns.
  • Grover 1650 Air Horns under the hood running at 150 psi.
Exterior:

• Kussmaul Auto-Eject 15WP plug in driver's fender for block heater/onboard battery charger.
  • Flat Black paint(might go for a satin/semi-flat black.)
  • Factory Deep dish Rally wheels with chrome center caps and trim rings.
  • 33x12.50x15LT Definity Dakota A/T2s.
  • 1.5" billet aluminum Wheel spacers on the rear.
  • Color matched Black Fiberglass top.
  • "New" tailgate installed.
  • Still have to change driver's side bedside after winter beats on the truck again.
  • Still have plenty of factory rust.

Click Thumbnail to Enlarge.
Driver's side All rusty.  still have to sand coat in primer and flat black paint before the bedliner gets applied Rear of truck tailpan patches on passenger side....friggin rust Driver's side tailpan patches...at least my welding can't get any worse One of the center patches of the tailpan passenger side floor body mount.  mount was holding fine so i just patched the hole up zoomed out shot of patch and primed/painted floor holes in the corners...still lots of work left here Factory dual headlights and the damn cracked grille i love that badge Goodwrench 6.2 Diesel engine Engine bay shot.  still have to install fan shroud. remains of the orifice tube for the A/C Flat black air cleaner "Diesel" badge from an old 6.9IDI F250 Hell i've done enough work to it. Pasenger side showing the now rusty exhaust turndown and the reverse spot for that side. Rear with both turndowns and reverse lights Replacement center console from a 90 blazer replacement door panel from the same 90 blazer installed after i replaced the window regulator Clutch pedal installation.  Looks factory. SM465 4 speed conversion Diesel 6.2 Litre emblem's from a Vandura 2500 Replacement Grille Installed! Much better! june 2010 lots of body work going on smoothing out the indent where it looks like there was factory bondo that cracked and chipped away driver's side yes that big patch on the door was a gaping hole.  bought it with that big hole there i hate rot..... this one will be a fun fix.... spot putty to fill in all the pitting in the metal.  I hate bondo, but i hate rust/rot more.... smoothing out a few more gouges and scrapes that showed up over the years. There used to be a big rot hole like on the driver's side here.  No where near done here... Mirror removed and handle/key cylinder covered.  That door's getting replaced but oh well Detroit Diesel Alpine green.  Entire engine will be painted the color at some point in time Genuine Detroit Diesel 10 miron fuel filter head with a Wix Filter Custom bracket to hold the DD filter head. Alpine Green Air filter housing. 1/0 gauge battery cables custom made by me. Nice solid connnection passenger side of custom 1/0 cable Negative cable for passenger battery.  That's what real battery cables look like. My shop workbench.  Quite crowded right now. My old GM-5 Turbo.  Will probably end up on the blazer someday.... Mini-Tune Starter/Alternator/Generator tester. Where all my money goes.  Toolbox is full of Snap-On tools. 1940's shop compressor.  90 gallons at 150 psi. Antique "Half-Mile Ray" sealed beam spotlight/lantern 1 half mile ray latern/spotlight 2 late 70s early 80s "Bright Star Industries" Sealed beam spotlight/lantern 1 Bright Star Industries Model 730 pic 2 6-D cell MagLite, affectionately named "The Club" 1960s "Big Beam No 164".  Sealed beam/beacon lamp 1 "Big Beam No 164" Beacon in upright position
Gallery Statistics
Member: IamDave0887
Created: 05-24-2009 09:32 PM
Last Modified: 03-10-2014 08:12 AM
Views: 2451
Comments: 6

Comments
Author Comment Date
pwood man your keen my 1984 GMC jimmy looks like it just come from the factory all still original. i guess i dont have the severe weather where i live like you have. thanks for the photos i never get to see other ones, **** i have never seen another in the flesh and what you do to them. wish i could go to the states shopping for parts i think i would need a forklift to load my luggage. 04-22-2011
IamDave0887 Thanks Gibbon. I've had to fight off the temptation to club some morons on the road with that mag lite this winter. I've actually got a second one of the "Big Beam" lanterns that was my grandfathers. It's in perfect shape, right down to the papers that came with it when new. Needless to say that one isn't used. 02-07-2011
gibbon Nice old fashioned spotlights, and that Mag light is amazing!! you could use it as a baseball bat!!! 01-20-2011
0R3GON CCLB factory bondo, trust me gm may do a lot of weird things but there would never have been a truck that came from the factory with bondo already on it. if its an 85 im sure you are not the first person who has plastered the thing with bondo. 11-22-2010
iamdave0887 interior's not too bad. It needs a good cleaning and it'll get seat covers. That's about all i'm doing there. 08-22-2009
BigBlueChevy There's an 83 Suburban from the junkyard I got the Dana 44 from. Sadly, it had rust equal to that(if not worse) and it was a V6 gasser. Still, all in all it looks like its coming along well! Sure will be a presure to drive once its all finished. Hows the interior? 08-22-2009