Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums - View Single Post - Voltage in old truck with batteries disconnected
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2020, 08:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
SRR
Diesel Apprentice

Wow, I'm glad I posted this question. I'm tending to go with the capacitor theory since the voltage continued to drop. I read it yesterday afternoon at 0.1 v and I'm testing with the batteries completely disconnected from the truck. I'll check the pH of the coolant and will see if I can read any charge from the coolant itself. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how a radiator acting as a battery could put current into the electrical system of the truck, like at the cigarette lighter. With quite a few years on the coolant but only a few thousand miles, it's probably due to be changed anyway. pH should tell me something about that. I'll check my meter on a potato. I think there's one still in pretty good shape out on the compost pile and maybe one still in the house. We do have some good sweet potatoes. Thanks y'all!
G80 4.10 rear, 225/75 16 tires
New Stanadyne FSD on 3x6x1 aluminum heat sink, remote mounted above and behind the bumper.
Heath Turbo Master, Hayden SD fan clutch & trans cooler
Diamond Eye 4" exhaust, GlowShift diesel combo gauge. Analog EGT, Digital Boost & Trans Temp
Online   Reply With Quote