Diesel Place banner

P2510 code with vehicle shutting off while driving

LML: 
Tags
p2510
16K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Paul watt 
#1 ·
Hey there everyone. I got myself my 12 Chevy Silverado 2500 w/ 6.6. Since August I’ve had the P2510 code jump on. While driving it’ll take me out of cruise control, check engine light will come on, and cut acceleration. 2nd part is at stops or scooting along it’ll do the same symptoms and except completely cut the engine.
I’ve cleaned all ground wires, replaced ECM fuses and relays, and tested voltage on all spark plugs and glow plugs. Anybody else encounter this? And if so, how’d you fix it? If I need a new ECM then so be it. Thank you for any help!

#2 · (Edited)
Welcome to DieselPlace

Have you load tested the batteries?
Any mods to the truck?

And can you explain a little better what you meant here?
I’ve cleaned all ground wires, replaced ECM fuses and relays, and tested voltage on all spark plugs and glow plugs.
The chevy diesel engine does not have spark plugs, only glow plugs..

#3 ·
DTC P2510

Diagnostic Instructions

Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle prior to using this diagnostic procedure. See: Testing and Inspection\Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview
Review Strategy Based Diagnosis for an overview of the diagnostic approach.
Diagnostic Procedure Instructions provides an overview of each diagnostic category.

DTC Descriptor

DTC P2510

Engine Control Module Relay Circuit

Text Font Line Number Parallel

Circuit/System Description

The ignition relay is normally an open relay. The relay armature is held in the open position by spring tension. When the ignition switch is turned to the Run or Start position, current will flow through the relay coil. A wire connected to the other end of the relay coil completes the path to ground through the engine control module (ECM). The electromagnetic field created by the relay coil overcomes the spring tension and moves the armature, allowing the contacts to close.

When the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position, the electromagnetic field collapses. This action allows the spring tension to move the armature away from the relay contacts, which interrupts current flow to the fuses.

If the relay fails to close, the engine will not crank. Communication will not be available with the use of a scan tool.

The relay table assumes that the vehicle battery is fully charged. Refer to Battery Inspection/Test. See: Starting and Charging\Testing and Inspection\Component Tests and General Diagnostics\Battery Inspection/Test

Conditions for Running the DTC

The engine has transitioned from start to run. OR
After the ignition is turned OFF before ECM power down.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

Relay is responding incorrectly to the ECM command to de-energize.
This diagnostic test runs twice a drive cycle.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

DTC P2510 is a Type A DTC.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

DTC P2510 is a Type A DTC.

Special Tools

J 43244 Relay Puller Pliers

Circuit/System Verification

If any DTCs other than DTC P2510 are set, diagnose those DTCs first. Refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle. See: Diagnostic Trouble Code Descriptions

Important: If you cannot duplicate the condition, operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC. You may also operate the vehicle with the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records.

The engine starts and runs.
DTC 2510 is not set.
Engine running, observe the DTC information with a scan tool. DTC P2510 should not set.
Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records data.

Circuit/System Testing

Important: You must perform the Circuit/System Verification before proceeding with Circuit/System Testing.

With the ignition ON, disconnect the PWR/TRN relay and observe with the scan tool for loss of communication.

If the scan tool can still communicate with the vehicle, test the IGN 1 voltage circuit supplied by the ECM relay for a short to voltage. If the circuits test normal, replace the ECM.

With the ignition OFF, probe the relay control circuit X2 19 at the underhood electrical center with a test lamp connected to battery voltage.

If the test lamp illuminates test the relay control circuit for a short to ground. If the circuits test normal, replace the ECM.

With the ignition ON, probe the relay control circuit X2 19 at the underhood electrical center with a test lamp connected to a good ground.

If the test lamp illuminates, repair the short to voltage.
If the test lamp does not illuminate, replace the relay.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey there everyone. I got myself my 12 Chevy Silverado 2500 w/ 6.6. Since August I’ve had the P2510 code jump on. While driving it’ll take me out of cruise control, check engine light will come on, and cut acceleration. 2nd part is at stops or scooting along it’ll do the same symptoms and except completely cut the engine.
I’ve cleaned all ground wires, replaced ECM fuses and relays, and tested voltage on all glow plugs. Anybody else encounter this? And if so, how’d you fix it? If I need a new ECM then so be it. Thank you for any help!
Also the truck has 115,864 miles

#9 ·
Thank you so much for the response! Im in the same boat you were in, it was only happening at stoplights and in drive thrus at first but now its faulting at low speeds and i cant have that happening while im moving. Will pull the whole fuse box tommorrow and take a look. Again thanks cause anything helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.