Diesel Place banner

Do you change your own oil?

31K views 114 replies 63 participants last post by  Muzbomb 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just checking to see if most ppl change their oil themself? I have been paying the dealer for awhile but they told me they were going up to $90.00...I know they do top all the fluids and grease things but its costing too much... For the ppl who change their themself what kind of oil do yall use and do you use AC Delco filters? Thanks..

#2 ·
Chevron Delo from Costco and Napa filters. Takes 15 minutes.

#3 · (Edited)
Chevron Delo from Costco and Napa filters. Takes 15 minutes.
Thanks! What about that rotela oil if thats how you spell it? I seen it at walmart they have 2.5 gals for $24...

#4 ·
As long as it's CJ-4, the rest is just brand loyalty.

#6 ·
yep delo every 3k for gas engines and every 4-5K for diesel.

#10 ·
With your lift - you will have it made.
Jimmy knows what's up.

I just stick a 5 gallon bucket under the oil pan. done and done.

#11 ·
Tubbz, I do my own oil changes, cause most people who do them, don't care if your oil leaks all over your frame or from the oil filter fitting. I use Mobile 1 synthetic turbo diesel oil and a Mobil 1 filter

Reactions: gunnerdmax2003
#13 ·
Tubbz, I do my own oil changes, cause most people who do them, don't care if your oil leaks all over your frame or from the oil filter fitting. I use Mobile 1 synthetic turbo diesel oil and a Mobil 1 filter
Cool...Thanks for all the info guys! Im pretty mechanically inclined since i put this lift on so I will be fine...Just wondering if I would really same that much$$$$$...On another note it seems as if everyone likes Mobil 1 and filter...Im kinda Die Hard Delco but if Mobile 1 is better then i will get that...What do they use at the dealer for oil? I think its Mobile anyway...Fram filters any good? Srry for all the questions...I have been just paying ppl to do my wrk since it under warranty...

#12 ·
I bet you dont have a grease gun. If not just go pick one up at any auto parts store. I use a lift to change mine :D

#15 ·
Yeah i got a grease gun..Thats what i grease my mower with and ATV....Yeah i dont have a lift and dont need one for my rig..

#16 ·
I have been doing my own service for years.I use to have a friend that worked at an oil change place you would not believe some of the stories that he would tell me about some of the stuff they would get away with on cars ever since then i have been doing my own.

#19 · (Edited)
Yeah Im also a little worried when someone else does it...It bothered me so bad that I would check the oil plug and filter and dipstick before pulling off...Should have been doing it myself huh?

#18 ·
I change my own, and just changed to Mobil 1 synthetic. It takes like 15 min, but most of that time is wriggling under the truck and letting the oil drain. I would not use Fram filters, sorry. I just tried Bosch and it seems to be alright.

#20 ·
Thanks Brad....Sounds like I should be going with Mobil 1 then...Do they make the Royal Purple for diesels?

#23 · (Edited)
The reviews are pretty good on that oil... Here is another question how often do yall change your tranny fluid? I dont tow alot but I pull these 36" tire around.. Its like pulling a small boat every where I go..I've always heard change often dont wait til 100Kmiles..

#32 ·
i generally run delo 400 le but if thats not available synthetic is good too and yes delo is made by chevron. great oil. i cant praise it enough. we have a couple of ranch trucks both cummins and powerstroke and 2 have over 600K miles and are still running strong. also, have one chevy 350 with 450K and still running strong and a chevy 400 that we retired with 550K and we dumped that one cause of trans issues not motor issues.

#25 ·
Delo 400 LE from Costco and AC Delco filter here.

#26 ·
Delo is made by chevron I believe

#27 · (Edited)
I use a Fumoto valve, Rotella T and AC Delco filters

#31 ·
I use the exact same stuff, and I change it myself.

#28 ·
Fumoto Valves are for women!!! Just kidding, I might get one of those, but it still doesn't help with taking the filter off and the oil coming down from that...

#29 ·
I can do the Dmax without spilling a drop from the oil filter almost. The ford is a differnet story, it is horrible and in a very bad spot.

#43 ·
My GMC makes me spill a little on the oil filter also, because my arm is too big to lower it all the way without it slanting a little.

#35 ·
To the OP, I have changed my own oil for years. It is easy, saves money and I know it's done right. I also get satisfaction out of it. But it will take longer than 15 minutes. I do mine in my garage. Working at a relaxing pace, it takes about 40 minutes from start til clean up. If you grease all 11 zerks, figure an hour. A couple of them are a ***** to get to.

#36 ·
a vote for Purolator Pure One filters

I have not used a Purolator Pure One on my truck yet (haven't yet burned the second tank of diesel.)

But I've used the P-1 for years on other vehicles. They have the same filtration as the Mobil One, a better drainback seal and main seal, for half the cost.

There IS a difference in filters. I found a test site report on-line several years ago, and they had scientific data on the filtration of various filters. I have also had to use other filters when on long trips, and the oil would get contaminated very much more quickly with anything other than M-1 Or P-1.

I'm also a believer in Mobil One synthetic, but will use Rotella or Delo in my Duramax due to fear of fuel contamination in my short urban commute.

#38 ·
Rotella T Triple from WalMart (CJ-4) and AC Delco or Wix filter...depending on if I want to go visit with the Chev guys or the NAPA tools....

#39 ·
All maintenance done by myself. Rotella & Baldwin filter.

Moved to Maintenance & Fluids.

#40 · (Edited)
I have one heck of a dealer here. Although the last set of injectors was on me (3100 bux), they service my truck meaning change the oil (Delo 15w-40), filter, check the brakes, grease front end, check all the boxes, vacuum out the inside, wash the outside all for 46 bux. :D

#41 ·
I have one heck of a dealer here. Although the last set of injectors was on me (3100 bux), they service my truck meaning change the oil (Delo 15w-40), filter, check the brakes, grease front end, check all the boxes, vacuum out the inside, wash the outside all for 46 bux. :D
that is a pretty darn good deal.

#44 ·
Oh yea allmost about forgot about the best one,when they were underneath the car in the pit they would just bang wrenches around to make it sound like they were doing something,and would pull the trigger on the grease gun a few times when really there was not even any grease in it.

#45 · (Edited)
I change the oil in all my vehicles... The D-Max is one of the easiest, helps that it's lifted...Delco filter, Delo oil.

#46 ·
IS CJ-4 oil OK to use in my 06 DMAX?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.