Diesel Place banner

Dead batteries just replaced in December. Been charging for a week

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  CamaroDMax 
#1 ·
I replaced my batteries in December of 2018. Went out a week ago to drive my truck and it was completely dead - not even enough juice to turn on lights/radio/etc. It had only been about 2-3 weeks since I last drove the truck. I put both batteries on tenders and here we are a week later and still totally dead. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Inspect every inch of your battery cables down to the starter.
Have your ALT tested.

#3 ·
If you had someone else replace your batteries, like OkDually suggested check everything starting at the battery terminal cables positive and negative.I’ve had one shop that neglected to clean the cables, 3 months after both was replaced.
I was having the same issues.
It’s easy to loose trust with service people that don’t care by not doing a good job your paying for.
I’m back doing my own battery changing, having handles on the batteries makes the job a little easier.

#4 ·
Dead as in... did you test at the battery terminals with a voltmeter or dead as in no lights no crank?

Deep cycle? Lead acid or AGM?

Side post connections have to be the worse design ever for maintaining good connections...freaking 2019 you think they could do better.

I’ve had batteries drain completely and never take a charge again.

Bought in 12/18? Take them out and have the place you bought them from load test and/or just warranty them out for new ones.

#6 ·
Yes, tested at the terminals both dead. The are lead acid interstate batteries from Costco. I guess I'll have them load tested. Just seems really strange for them to both go bad in such a short period of time.

#7 ·
I suspect something in the truck is taking them down. Check for draw with truck shut down.

Reactions: Ron Nielson
#10 ·
Then diagnose, most certainly a draw of some type.

I’m not a fan of interstate batteries, never have been...brothers interstate battery blew up in his 5er recently...but if they’re under warranty I’d use it

You didn’t mention or I missed it...imo you want to run deep cycle batteries.

#13 · (Edited)
First, I'd want each battery tested. Statistically, only one goes bad in a set.
When getting the replacements, have them tested before you leave the store.
As for deader than a doornail, I'd suspect your charger as well as the truck.

Buying over 50 batteries a year, @24 years, I've installed over a 1000 batteries, and only twice have I gotten a bad battery, and only once have I had one fail within a year.

As for the drawing them down, do you have any aftermarket electrical devices installed?

#15 ·
Last fall I noticed I was having weird electrical issues. For example, clock was messed up and then sometimes my radio stations were blank. After some testing, I identified that one of my batteries were shorted. I replaced both batteries ($$$$$), the issue was resolved. Then later winter my alternate went out. I had my truck towed home so I could replace. There's an good chance your alternator when bad if you haven't checked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.