Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums - View Single Post - JNLPerformance's "Across Diesel Country"
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2019, 01:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
jnlperformance
Diesel Pro

Dry van (dry box). Its good for my parents. It's a 2017 Volvo VNL780 with a Detroit D13 / Eeaton-Fuller 13 speed transmission high range gear split(top of the line model) and a Great Dane 53' Dry Van.

I can tell that electronics have taken over just as with anything else. Took me a few hours to get use to it. How things have changed.

Myself personally;
I've ran dry vans, tankers, flatbeds and lowboys for heavy equipment during the construction boom in Atlanta some years ago.

I prefer the Kenworth T600 (older/ish-school) It's quite a bit smaller with a shorter wheel-base, much tighter turning radius, lighter platform but just as heavy duty... larger more powerful engine. Typically equipped with a Cat C15 and an ef10-18 speed transmission (hi end split variant).

It's a bit more conservative of a platform. Smaller living quarters with the same interior accessories. Bottom bed / table / top bunk, fridge, tube TV (back then) and microwave. Standard stuff. These days it's the microwave and newer style flatscreens (which I like those lol) I never use the bottom bunks. Again... I'm a pretty lightweight guy so I suppose I can get away with it.

I like the older engine brakes, and control methods vs this new stuff. My personal preference. To each is their own.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190508_114754.jpg (114.7 KB, 3 views)