Diesel Place banner

1994 k3500. Should I get it?

1K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Kuhnboy 
#1 ·
Hello all, new member here. Just joined to see if anyone could give me some advice on buying this 6.5 td. The truck is a 1994 4wd crew cab, long bed dually. The frame is solid for being in New York for all its life that I know, and the cab isn't rotted out yet. The PO cared about this truck and knew what common problems were, as he relocated the injection pump module, replaced the water pump, replaced four glow plugs, and put a holset turbo on it. Now for the bad.. It has a broken flywheel and potentially starter, and I've heard the trans (auto) has something wrong which would make sense, as the flywheel and starter were replaced 6/18. He's currently asking 1500, but I don't think he knows about the trans (it's at a junkyard currently) so I think I could offer 1000 now and if the trans is actually good, offer the other 500 later as I know the owner of the jy personally. Does anyone have thoughts on this? Thanks in advance for any replies.

#2 ·
How mechanically inclined are you? could be a cool project if you have an extra 2000 bucks to put into it plus time.

#4 ·
The auto trans is a GM trans, not an allison. The allison is behind the duramax. The trans in this will be a 4l80e, which is a very good trans.

The manual option will be an NV4500.

#6 ·
yeah. Or just rebuild it. it isn't hard you just have to pay attention to detail.

#8 ·
any 6.5 flywheel should work i think.

#11 ·
I know the truck did run. Would I just be listening for something when I turn it over? I do know some of the history of the truck, and the transmission definitely had problems. It used to belong to an amusement ride business for county fairs and things hauling a decent load. My dad has the 1998 k2500 with a recently rebuilt 4l80e, and he's willing to part with it. I'm in western New York, so I might be interested in that flywheel if the gas one isn't compatible

#12 ·
Went over and looked at the truck some more. I turned it over manually, several times and it seemed consistent and quiet. Looked more at the frame and it's solid where those usually break, and it doesn't have a plow frame. Took a couple pictures that won't upload right side up, even after I rotated them. Going to go back when the owner is there and offer 1000$

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.