Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums - View Single Post - Holset wastegate actuator, move 90*?
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2019, 02:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
BadDog
Diesel Starter

Another option might be a much shorter actuator mount. I've already got to modify the inner fender to make room for the 3" down pipe, so if I mount an adjustable wastegate actuator with short rod, it could stay on the side. I've seen some like this, but was operating under the *assumption* that it was offset that far to reduce heat exposure. But, since I see these short actuators, maybe that's not an issue. And I already need to switch wastegate control heads since I won't be running nearly the boost that the Cummins would take, so maybe that's a good option?

In doing some largely unproductive google searches, I've also seen that it's common to change out the pressure referenced actuator for a simple mechanical spring setup. I'm largely turbo illiterate, but that doesn't seem like nearly as good an option, particularly on a platform that will readily give me a huge FU if the boost gets over 10 psi or so (likely shooting for 8 psi). But, am I wrong? That would sure be a simple solution if so.

For what it's worth, I'm clearly not building a hot-rod diesel or I wouldn't be building a 6.2. What I want is just what I've heard described as a "healthy 454" responsiveness without the corresponding fuel consumption. But most important is to not become even more anemic when at higher altitudes. Maybe the spring would work well for that?

Toy truck: '85 C10 SWB Step 6.2 SM-465

Expedition (project): 85 K20 Sub 6.2/700R4/NP241 D60/C14 (both locked) camping/expedition outfitted.
Offline   Reply With Quote