Diesel Place banner

No start condition

1K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  JMJNet 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys.

So I'm servicing a set of 6.5 diesels. Two 599 blocks and a gm506.

Anyway... one of the 95' 599s is giving me some fits. It's in a 1995 2wd dually. Nv4500. Simple setup.

Just making sure I didn't miss something...

Current condition: not getting fuel to the injectors. Fuel is past the ffm and into the pump. Confirmed.

Took care of the air intrusion and fuel leaks. The ffm was in pretty bad shape... well really bad shape. Fuel filter was trashed. Sandy sooty bottom in the ffm. I have it in my shop currently for reman tomorrow (the ffm)

Fuel cap is off; it needs to be replaced. Definitely defective cap. Not venting properly.

I dont want to know what's in the tank... he said the fuel is a year old. Well so is the fuel in my d10... but that hasn't kept me from running it... smells fine... feels fine on my fingwongers... nothing really abnormal stands out about the fuel. I've seen and smelled much worse that ran a 6.x engine....

Lift pump is good enough to at least start it up. So are the batteries, cables, etc...

The starter was bad so it was replaced.

? Not even a hint of white diesel smoke from the exhaust. After plenty of "turning/starting" running the starter... should have seen something... or smelled a hint of diesel... nothing.

No fuel squirting out of the number 1 injector line...

Did I miss a fuse or something? Maybe the fuel solenoid or optical sensor in the ip?

I'd like to be able to help this guy out...

Condition of pmd unknown BUT present. The pmd resistor seems a bit... "burnt"...

Engine vin= f

:confuzeld:

He's got a decent ds4 on the other engine of his. That particular engine failed the preliminaries with flying colors. Bout 2 gallons of coolant out the pan. :facepalm: well be returning to that one later..

...but the pump seems pretty new....

But before we go off swapping pumps... I just wanna make sure I didn't miss anything.

He said it was running a year ago. He was telling me it had injector knock. Which I believe with the nice fuel leaks he had kicking...

Anyway... I digress. Just want to help him out. Get it going for him.

See less See more
#2 ·
bad pmd will not start. If pmd is on IP get another one and try it, probably would be able to leave it loose next to IP just for cranking to see if thats it so you dont have to hassle with swapping it (should relocate anyways though) Thats the extent of my knowledge here....good luck!

#3 · (Edited)
Yea. I figured.. and that crossed my mind. But I'm looking for less obvious answers than the typical pmd issues.

That's an easy one to fix.

But I appreciate the input. :thumb:

Speaking of pmds...

The pmd he ran it on is still attached to the pump. Couldn't get to it before the sun went down.

He's got an ext. Cable and another pmd on it (the one with what looks to be a burnt resistor) and it's not on a heatsink... however it never ran on that pmd to my understanding. I also know it needs the heatsink BUT... one step at a time... if it runs without a heatsink for 30 seconds it's not the end of the world...

#4 ·
Not only will a bad pmd not start, it will not let fuel through the injectors.... ask me how I know :( ...anyways, good luck and post the solution when you find it!

Reactions: jnlperformance
#5 · (Edited)
I'm figuring pmd. Or ip. But I want to make sure i haven't missed something stupid.. like the neutral switch at the clutch pedal... or a fuse.. something more specific to a 95 dually with an nv..

Covering my bases. Want to make sure I didn't miss something on a model year I'm not nessessarily completely familiar with.

Its SIMILAR to my 94.. but there are some subtle differences.

:thumb:

#6 ·
Unplug FFM elect. conns. until it's running.
Check ECM-B, ECM-I, FUEL SOL fuses.
Check IGN A & B MAXI-FUSES.
These fuses are all under the hood.
Are the glows working?

#7 ·
You should only see a dribble of fuel from the #1 line. Many think an injector line should flow when it's actually the opposite.
The IP needs to build up fuel pressure to the Injector for it to pop open.
Opening that line introduces air..

You may have to apply a jumper to the lift pump relay and remove all the glows then crank the engine in increments till you see a fuel fog from the glow plug holes to prime everything.

#8 · (Edited)
Awesome! The type of answers I seek!

The glows are working. #6 glow is disconnected however. The wire is burnt and pretty much spent and needs to be replaced however with 7 other working glow plugs connected and working it should be fine until after I get it running.

He's got the lift pump wired to a switch. It is fused. So that's good. My concern however and the reason I made this post is by messing with some of the wiring like he has and it being a 95 ds driven engine I suspected the answer being something not so obvious.

I think I'll save removing the glows for last; I'm gonna look at those fuses first. Replace the pmd with mine because I know it works.

Thanks glagulator and okdually! :thumb:

#9 ·
I'd also plug in the block heater if it's got one...if u r daring I've got them to demonstrate compression and ability to run before using a soaked rag with gasoline and WD40. But that is risky especially if using glow plugs...good luck.

And I'd at least put that PMD on a small heat sink like from a computer cause it don't stand a chance of surviving w/o it, they generate enough heat to self destruct in very short amount of time.

#10 ·
Yea I suspect that the one pmd on the side is toasted (the resistor looks burnt)

When I return the pmd on the side of the ip (the one he said it ran on) will be going on a heatsink.

Pretty cool way to get them to run... why a rag soaked in gas and wd? Why not a rag soaked in diesel? Ring it out in the intake? Curious. I've never tried anything like that with a diesel... just throttle bodied and carbed gassers... works... but never really crossed my mind with a diesel.

#12 · (Edited)
The gas fumes will ignite right off ya just have to be careful not to overwhelm / over rev the motor. I only use the gas soaked rag to get it to lite than follow that with the WD40 to keep it going.

My buddy had an old case backhoe with a very tired worn-out 3 cyl diesel no glows and this was a common way to get it going in cold months.

Like I said it's risky and not something I would recommend to a novice...:helmet:

#11 ·
Yea I suspect that the one pmd on the side is toasted (the resistor looks burnt)

When I return the pmd on the side of the ip (the one he said it ran on) will be going on a heatsink.

Pretty cool way to get them to run... why a rag soaked in gas and wd? Why not a rag soaked in diesel? Ring it out in the intake? Curious. I've never tried anything like that with a diesel... just throttle bodied and carbed gassers... works... but never really crossed my mind with a diesel.

#13 ·
PMD NOT MOUNTED ON IP NEEDS A HEATSINK.

The PMD when connected will generate heat higher than most computer CPU.
Just saying.

#16 ·
I know it is not yours, JNL.

That is why I suspect that the PMD may not be mounted properly if it is not on IP.
Or if it is on IP, that is still suspect.

#17 ·
I know it is not yours, JNL.

That is why I suspect that the PMD may not be mounted properly if it is not on IP.
Or if it is on IP, that is still suspect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.