Diesel Place banner

AirLift 57338 vs Firestone 2596

Question: 
1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Rusty Scupper 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Considering adding airbags to my new 2018 2500HD SLT All Terrain Duramax. Torn between the Firestone & AirLift systems; the AirLift is cheaper. My truck has the factory 5th wheel kit installed, so it appears that for the AirLift kit, I would need to drill into my frame and use the included 3/8” self tapping bolts. I don’t really want to do the compressor system at this time, and will probably tie the air lines together. The truck is not a daily driver, and I’m just looking for extra stability for occasional heavier loads, such as a pair of snowmobiles on a sled deck. I guess the only thing keeping me from the cheaper AirLift kit is the whole “drilling into my frame on a new truck” thing.

Also; if I were to install a 1”-2” lift block in the future, is it easy to adjust the mounting of either airbag system to compensate?

Thanks for your guys’ input!

#4 ·
I tried the Timbrens, too rough with a load. I have Firestone now, very happy with it, lines tied together. I carry a small compressor that I plug into the RV plug, takes about 30 seconds to get the pump, plug it in, air up the bags, and put it back.

#5 ·
Very happy with my AirLifts, but I have a 2007.5. Easy, no-drill installation. I like the adjustability. Never had Firestones so I can't compare.

#6 ·
I ended up picking up a set of SumoSprings SSR-206-47 off of their website; got 25% off & free shipping. Figured they were worth a shot for a hair under $138. They should ride softer than Timbrens, although they have less capacity. I figure at that price, I’m not out a lot if they don’t work, and can always pony up for Timbrens or bags in the future. Firestone bags are the only no-drill installation for my truck, since it has the factory gooseneck prep kit. The AirLift kit would require a pair of 3/8” self tapping bolts in the upper frame rail.

https://www.supersprings.com/shop/ssr-207-47/

#9 ·
I have Firestone. They work great. I also just use a portable Viair compressor. I would suggest the Daystar cradles if you go airbags. You don’t need to bolt to the axle and they won’t affect your ride at all when not aired up. It will be very easy to add the lift spacer then if you end up needing to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Had firestones with a manual fill. They worked flawlessly. Just a pain to fill up, then if you unhook release the air then have to fill back up. I didn't have a portable compressor.

On my 2011, went with load lifter 5000 with internal jounce and the wireless air. Predrilled for the screws and snapped a couple off. Couldn't drill it out, so moved compressor so more holes. I continually had leaks in the T hose connectors. I replaced all the connectors, new tubing, still had issues with leaks. In theory this would have been a slick setup. Sold the 2011 2500 for a 2016 3500. No more air bags for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.