Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums - View Single Post - LMM: Temps when towing
Thread: LMM: Temps when towing
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2018, 03:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Ron Nielson
Diesel Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailRiderHD View Post
Anyone? I had the clutch fan changes and coolant flushed and it was even worse on the tow home got up to 233 and i let off because i was scared of overheating? Is this normal? I thought fan kicked on at 228
One thing you need to understand is that the lockup on the fan clutch is not DIRECTLY tied to the coolant temperature. There is no direct/electrical link between the two. When the fan clutch gets hot enough, it will lock up, but not until then. Cleaning the cooling stack, particularly that area directly in front of the fan clutch, so that air passing thru to the fan clutch is the best way for the air to hit your fan clutch at ~the same temp as the radiator.

I just came home to Kansas from a trip to the mountains of Colorado with the Arctic Fox in tow. I-70 goes up to 11,158 at the Eisenhower Tunnel and my temp gauge was at about the 2PM position for part of that uphill pull. I reduced speed from 60 to 50. Fan did turn on, engine temps came down to 12PM position on the temp gauge. I'd tell you what temp my CTS said, but it burned up about a month ago.

2008 2500HD LT CCLB/Ally. Line-X, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Edge Insight CTS, Kennedy Custom ECM
2009 Arctic Fox 5er, Silver Fox Edition 29-5T, 3.6 Onan LPG, SteadyFast Stabilizers

Last edited by Ron Nielson; 07-09-2018 at 03:18 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote