Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums - View Single Post - Question: New Holset HX35W shaft play
Thread: Question: New Holset HX35W shaft play
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2018, 09:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
beak7707
Diesel Fanatic

Thanks guys. I found Holset's tolerances, says .0013-.0020" for side to side shaft play. I'll test it with the dial indictor tomorrow. It does not touch the housings, with the wheel pulled all the way to one side I could still get a .005" feeler gauge between wheel and housing. I just remember the CKO turbo catching a lot of flack because one member received one with excessive shaft slop. Didn't remember if it was a radial or axial problem he had with his turbo. Its definitely a new turbo and has no in and out movement, so I'm hoping I'm over reacting. I was just thinking a new Holset was going to be a lot tighter than my wore out GM4. I had also read about the oil tightening things up. So I'll measure tomorrow and report those numbers. All you guys with the CKO turbo's, You have much side to side shaft play?

Leroy LP harness w/WTS, Carter lift pump
Glow shift gauges (Boost, EGT, Fuel Pressure)
FTB mod, with new fuel lines and FFM, tank sock delete, pre lift pump spin on filter
"Buddy 6 banger" chip
Rebuilt injectors by Kris at Midland Diesel
Holset HX35
Offline   Reply With Quote