Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums - View Single Post - LBZ: Kriesel Diesel
Thread: LBZ: Kriesel Diesel
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2017, 03:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Kriesel
Diesel Starter

Switched the lug on the outer edge of the fuse block:
Untitled by Jacob Kriesel, on Flickr

Cooling fan mounted again. The shroud around it was broken on the donor, so I found a good one on eBay:

New radiator also mounted to the core support (old one damaged).

Removed the wire harness off of the duramax core support and re-installed the wire harness from the suburban. The suburban one has two airbag sensors:

Set the cooling package onto the suburban:

2" pucks in place so that the cooling fan lines up with the cooling package's fan shroud:

The suburban 4wd switch uses more wires than the duramax, so I undid the plug and switched plugs to match the 4wd switch from the donor:

Re-installed the 4wd switch:

Re-installed the donor's 4wd switch controller:

Re-installed the accelerator pedal. Here are the gasser and diesel ones next to each other:

After installing the diesel accelerator pedal, I ran the wire harness through the firewall, and plugged it into the suburban's cruise control module. Then I had this extra plug laying around from the engine ecm, and I thought it plugged into the other side of the cruise control module. At this point it was like 1am, and my brain was fried, and I just for the life of me could NOT figure this out... After hunting around a bit, it dawned on me that I do not plug into the suburban's module, and plug the accelerator pedal directly into the engine's harness...

Re-installed the shift lever, here are the two next to each other:

Changed the shift plate on the side of the steering column, the one on the left is the gasser, one on the right is the diesel:

New driveshaft made. It's about one inch shorter than the suburban shaft, joint-to-joint. The shiny one is the new one:

The surburban's shaft was made in china, and the driveshaft guy said it was poorly balanced... I hadn't been able to pinpoint a vibration I had in the rear end, so I'm assuming it was the shaft at this point. Here is a label that was on the rear driveshaft:

On the C100 plug in the suburban, I removed these two wires to make room for the twisted pair communication wires:

Re-installed the twisted pair wires:

Took out this yellow wire:

Moved the yellow wire over a couple holes to match the yellow wire on the engine harness:

Reconnect everything on the driver's side of the engine:

Reconnect everything on passenger side of the engine:

My attempt at re-wiring the ignition 1 relay (more on this later). Constant 12v to the orange wire of the relay, and run the grey wire to the grey wire on the C2 plug (shown below):

Constant power to the orange wires for the transmission, and the grey wire from the ignition 1 relay to the grey wire on the C2 plug:

On the oil pan, I installed a Fumoto valve in place of the drain plug. I've been using these for a few years on other vehicles, and I like them a lot:

New Tees for the coolant lines at the firewall. Cut and connected the EGR cooler blue hose (this blue hose came in the EGR delete kit) to a cut up piece from the suburban cooling line connected to the white tee. The duramax cooling lines don't fit on the suburban's Tee. Also cut the duramax line and connected to the other black tee using the suburban connector again...

This is about where my current picture end.

I filled the entire thing with fluids. I think I used like 5 gallons of coolant. Refilled the power steering fluid (oh, forgot to mention that I took the power steering cooling off the suburban cooling package and installed it on the duramax cooling package). Filled the transfer case with about 2 quarts of fluid. Filled the engine with about 9-10 quarts, and also change the filter. I changed the external filter on the transmission, and drained the tranny fluid. I made the mistake of not filling the filter up before installing, so it had a bunch of air to clear out, as well as the tranny cooler being empty, it also had even more air to clear out... In the end, I put in almost 15 quarts of tranny fluid! oof

With the suburban fuse block installed, and my ignition 1 relay re-wired, if I turned the key, the glow plugs seemed to be cycling power on/off, and the ignition 1 relay was clicking on/off constantly with the key in the ignition turned to on... So, I had no real attempt at doing the field relearn on the ecm. So I took out my soldered ignition 1 relay, and tried the field relearn. It didn't work.

So I switched back to the truck fuse block, put a normal relay in the ignition 1 relay spot, and did the field relearn. It worked!! Success! The engine fired right up, here is the first start:

So, at this point, I have the truck fuse block still in. I also have not yet done anything with EFILive to fix the fuel gauge. I have also not changed the fuel fill neck. I put about 10 gallons of diesel in it with a jerry can, and have driven it to work all week this week (about a 10-mile round trip each day).

First impressions this week:
This thing is AWESOME! It's such a huge difference compared to the gas engine!! So crazy! Way quieter than I thought it would be. The muffler I picked seems to have no drone inside the truck going down the road at 65mph. I haven't been out on the interstate yet to go faster.

Tap shift works. Glow plug light works (it's below freezing here now). Transmission gear indicator works. So, I wired all that stuff correctly. Fuel gauge just shows empty, but I half expected it not to do anything. But, I'm also curious is the stepper motor might be bad as well. I don't have any check engine light lit up, but again, I need to plug in my scan tool to double check.

The air bag light is lit, but I'm still using the donor fuse block. Quadrasteer also isn't on right now, also assuming due to the wrong fuse block at the moment.

The muffler is QUIET! But at startup and shutdown, the muffler hits the heat shield in one spot, so I need to bend/push/clearance the heat shield out of the way a little. Also, there is a whistle in the exhaust or intake, and I've read it likely the blocker plate for the EGR delete. So I'll re-tighten those, and re-seal them if needed.

Otherwise, everything at the moment seems great! I need to switch fuse blocks again and figure out what I did on the ignition 1 relay. Need to change the fuel fill neck soon so I can stop using a jerry can to fill with diesel.

And then drive it!

A huge thank you to everyone on this forum for your help, directly or indirectly. I read and re-read many times, and copy/pasted notes from this forum, and have a 77 page pdf of all the notes I could muster up from everyone here, so that I had it on one easy to find document. I might share that mess with dropbox or something. Thank you TestDrive for the call, but also thank you for your build thread, as it gave me, and my wife, the inspiration to tear apart her daily driver.

I'll update here when I fix little things, and update more of it. I've driven about 30 miles so far, and all is good!

Last edited by Kriesel; 11-08-2017 at 03:10 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote