Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums - View Single Post - LBZ: Kriesel Diesel
Thread: LBZ: Kriesel Diesel
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2017, 02:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Kriesel
Diesel Starter

I dropped the front fuel tank on the suburban to remove the fuel pump assembly. I purchased an LB7 assembly for my use, because the LB7 fits the mounting hole for the suburban. Here is the two sending units side by side, the newer looking one is obviously the brand new LB7 unit.
Untitled by Jacob Kriesel, on Flickr

The LB7 middle hose needs to be drilled out for the rear tank to have somewhere to go at the front tank:

I took apart the LB7 unit, cut down the shafts, re-welded them to the correct heights, and re-installed them. I also cut the springs down too.

I then bent the float rod on the LB7 unit to match the suburban's original orientation as best as I could for empty and full:

The LB7 sending unit uses a different style plug than the LBZ and the suburban's unit. Looking around online, I found a part number for the LB7 plug. I called the dealer, and they said they can get one. But, while I was at the same time looking at the part number somewhere online, it said that the plug kit was used in various locations, one being the oxygen sensor plugs. So, I grabbed the exhaust off the gasser from the scrap pile, looked at the oxygen sensors, and sure enough it was the correct plug! So, I robbed a plug off the oxygen sensor from there, and spliced it into the suburban's fuel sending unit plug instead. Also, the finished product of the LB7 sending unit has hoses going down. Forgot to take a picture with the hoses installed:

Ohms at empty:

Ohms at full:

On the passenger side of the engine, I needed to tap the hole for the wire loom. The hole was there, but it wasn't threaded like on the donor:

Started cutting down the body mount plastic and drilling a hole in the middle of each puck:

New bolts for the body mounts, 2" longer. Bought mine from Fastenol. Grade 10.9, M12x1.75x170:

Here is the 3" downpipe I bought. I had to mount it after putting the engine into the suburban, due to the lift points I used being in the way of the downpipe and passenger uppipe.

I researched a lot of mufflers, and ended up settling on the DroneBuster. But I was torn due to the price of it. I really want to not have drone noise inside the suburban, due to this being our daily driver for all family needs. I was talking to a friend of mine, and he had a client at his shop who wanted a quiet muffler as well, and they went through like six mufflers before making the client happy. He said they ended up using this big honkin Donaldson thing from Ryder Feet Products (link here to the muffler I bought) Here is the muffler I used, shown next to the suburban muffler, in all of it's 51" of glory:

I used an MBRP crew cab long box kit I think, and ended up with these pipes left over. The muffler is super long though, so once mounted, it is almost touching the crossmember for the torsion bars, and the rear of the muffler is right at the curve of the pipe that goes over the rear axle. It's tight, but actually fits nice up in there:

I did not drop the rear tank, but used the internal pump to drain the gasoline out of it. I jumpered the relay, and used a 14v cordless drill battery to power it up and pump fuel:

Last edited by Kriesel; 11-08-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote