Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums - View Single Post - LBZ: Kriesel Diesel
Thread: LBZ: Kriesel Diesel
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2017, 02:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Kriesel
Diesel Starter

When removing the lower engine mount brackets from the frame, the bolts ALL snapped off... With the brackets off, I was able to weld on a nut to the bottom side of the bolts, and twist them the other direction to remove them from the bracket, thus not needing to drill/retap/buy new bracket/etc.
Untitled by Jacob Kriesel, on Flickr

With the engine out of the engine bay, I figured it was my best opportunity to install exhaust temp sensor:

Noticed a small coolant leak on the side of the transmission, so bought a new gasket and redid this:

Re-installed the transmission and transfer case:

Pushed the frame of the donor outside:

Suburban prep:

Brought the suburban in:

Removed front grill of the suburban:

Removing AC lines:

Unplugging the fuse block:

Disconnecting the driver's side components. As you can maybe see, I've left the fenders on, and did so for the entire swap.

Drain the antifreeze:

Remove the cooling package from the suburban:

View of some of the chaos in my garage:

Things undone in the engine bay:

I went to remove the coolant lines at the firewall and broke one of the Tees. Come to figure out, it had been leaking slowly for a while as well, so it was time to get new ones anyway:

Yank the engine/transmission/transfer case out. Left the body on, but lifted the front of the body about 4-6 inches with a couple wood blocks as a makeshift "body lift".

The two engine on the floor:

The differences between the 6.0L and 6.6L lower engine mounts (aka: frame side):

Removed the steering stabilizer from the donor:

Installed the steering stabilizer on the suburban. All the mounting holes were already there...

With the body still on, I put the duramax in place. I did so with the transmission and transfer case all mounted to the engine. I purchase new chains, and worked slow, and got it in just fine. All the weight added together, from values that I found around the internet, the cherry picker I have was capable, so I wasn't too worried. I was super nervous though, because someone else on this forum dropped an engine on the floor the day before I did this, and so I was dreading dropping this drivetrain as well, but it went smooth. At the point in this picture, the transmission cross-member is removed as well:

Here is the difference in transmission cross-members. The more rusty one is the duramax one.

I drilled new holes for the cross-member, about 1" to the rear of the gasser holes, mounted the cross-member, and installed the suburban's funky L-bracket, not sure what it's for... The donor didn't have the bracket.
Offline   Reply With Quote